Elixir v1.3.0-rc.0 released

Hello everyone,

We are glad to announce our first release candidate for Elixir v1.3.0. This release includes the new Calendar types as well as many improvements to the toolchain. We hope it will make everyone more productive, specially when using Mix and ExUnit.

Since this is a release candidate, there is a chance your package managers won’t be updated to include it. Luckily, you can use a version manager or compile from source.

To learn more about this release, read the CHANGELOG or access its docs.

We recommend everyone to take this new release for a spin and let us know how it goes. This release should be fully backwards compatible, please report any inconsistencies you find in our issues tracker.

Happy coding!

33 Likes

Nice one - thanks José (and team!) :023:

2 Likes

By the way, this release includes a new warning when using imperative assignment. This means that, after updating Elixir, compiling your dependencies may emit many warnings. Many of those dependencies may already have been fixed, so we also recommend updating those dependencies at some point by running:

mix deps.update dep1 dep2 dep3

In case a dependency still emits warnings after migrating to latest, consider sending them a pull request. :smiley:

4 Likes

Thanks Jose! I have not seen with ... do ... else ... end in the changelog. Has it been added?

3 Likes

Yes. The else form is in the release notes.

[Kernel] Support else chunks in with

4 Likes

:wine_glass: Congradulations!

Great work. I really look forward to using the new Date and Time structs. (This is a lot better than the old Date.from_erl({2016,01,02}) that libraries like Timex provided).

The new improved testing functionality and the great compilation improvements for Mix look very juicy as well.

:smile: Awesome stuff!

4 Likes

I am looking to date/time/datetime improvement as well. It has been one of the most painful aspects of programming in Elixir so far: dealing with Calendar, Timex, Ecto.DateTime etc and converting between those.

It’s great that Elixir (unlike Ruby) will have proper types for time data. Ruby’s implementation is a joke, most notably lack of time type to hold clock hour as in 8:00 a.m.. Time class does something else :).

3 Likes

Great step forward! I love ExUnit extensions (diffs, describe…) also access selectors are great improvement (looks like borrowed from Clojure, <3). Thanks José!

3 Likes

Great, I would like to know when the final version of v1.3.0 will be out.

3 Likes

There is no date set. We expect to release it this June but it will depend on user feedback. Therefore, if you give it a try, please let us know how it went.

3 Likes

New release is available for OS X users via brew onliner: brew install liveforeverx/elixir-cutting-edge/elixir13rc

4 Likes

This is great news. Congratulations!

3 Likes

Hey maybe there should be announcement about Elixir 1.2.6 posted here too? I would post it but I don’t have the privileges to do so.

BTW, I have created a 1.2.6 Chocolatey NuGet package but the moderation process on CNG seems to have gotten a bit slower recently so I’m not sure when it will be visible to everyone.

2 Likes