12) ElixirConf EU 2019 - Building Resilient Systems with Stacking - Chris Keathley

@keathley - Senior Engineer Bleacher Report and Elixir Outlaws presenter

Talk: Building Resilient Systems with Stacking

Talk in three words: Building reliable systems

Abstract
When building large scale systems, failure is inevitable. Whether its dropped network connections, misbehaving hardware, massive GC pauses, or AWS outages, our services should be able to weather the storm. In this talk, we’ll analyse an application startup process and see how, through careful isolation of failures and stacking of dependencies, we can build more robust and reliable systems.

Objectives
To demonstrate several techniques for building highly resilient systems with Elixir.

Audience
Intermediate Elixir developers or people who have some experience running Elixir systems in production.

The speaker
Chris is a software engineer building services and applications for Bleacher Report. Although he started out writing C for embedded systems, these days he spends his time in Elixir, Rust, Go, and Haskell. When not writing code for work, Chris can be found writing code for fun, talking about the joys of functional programming, playing pinball, roasting coffee, or building lego with his kids.

All will be added to the ElixirConf EU 2019 Talks List or via the #elixirConfEU2019 tag.

10 Likes

@keathley Thanks for the awesome talk. I often get disappointed by conferences talks because they are too long and just talk about theoretical stuff without much “actionable” content. But this is the exact opposite! I am pretty sure I will watch it a second or even a third time and use some of the stuff in my own projects.

2 Likes

Thank you so much! I’m glad that you enjoyed it and found value in it. It was a really fun talk to put together and give and I’m excited that it seems to have struck a chord with people.

1 Like