After mix phoenix.new someproject deps and _build folders + mix.lock file missing

This is after I confirmed the fetch dependencies question, mix deps.get was executed. What could cause this / how to repair?

1 Like

Run mix deps.get and then mix test. It is fine for those to be missing, they will be built when you need them.

2 Likes

@josevalim
It is not fine if they are missing after you initialized a project and required mix to install deps during the initialisation phase.

@StefanHoutzager
If you can reproduce this on multiple computers using the current version of the phoenix installer please file a bug at the issue tracker.

1 Like

I see now tha I have to mention that this happened when I mix phoenix new within an umbrella project, the apps folder. There are _build and deps folders within the umbrella root, it looks like the deps contents are for all the deps that I defined in the different projects under the umbrella. New to me, it’s my first umbrella after the one from the phoenix tutorial.
If I mix phoenix.new somapp outside of an umbrella the deps and _build folders + mix.lock are created in the place I expect after confirming the fetch dependencies question.

That’s important information. :slight_smile:

Take a look at the mix.exs generated by Phoenix. You will notice that it points its build, deps and mix.lock files to the umbrella project. That’s by design. This way they share the dependencies source so you don’t have to fetch the dependencies over and over again per project.

2 Likes