A new library for sending metrics to New Relic

Hi all. I’d like to announce the new agent for NewRelic, written in pure Elixir without dependency on newrelic-erlang.
I’ve used new-relixir project for a while, but faced with memory leaks and awful increasing of CPU load because of statman usage under the hood of newrelic-erlang ( new-relixir is based on it).
So I decided to rewrite both projects into a new one and fix their issues.
Here is a repo: https://github.com/romul/newrelic.ex
Now it works well on 500 rps instead of going crazy on 25 rps.

Currently new_relic supports the same features as NewRelixir (including not merged PRs with fixes) and besides allow to set a polling interval.
And I’d like to get some feedback from community to make this project even better, PRs are welcome as well.

9 Likes

Awesome! Been waiting for something like this

2 Likes

Thank you and i hope new features coming soon, just replaced new-relixir for this new one :grinning:.

3 Likes

Yes, I have some time for OpenSource this month, at the moment I’m adding a bunch of new features to airbrake-elixir.
After release of new airbrake-elixir version I plan to improve current features in newrelic.ex (f.e. use Phoenix Instrumentation API) and maybe would add some new features.
So, proposals for both projects are welcome.

3 Likes

Would love to see Phoenix and Ecto instrumentation :+1:

2 Likes

Sorry, I meant :vm_stats. It already has instrumentation for Phoenix and Ecto :flushed:

2 Likes