Anyone from Meteor?

A bit more thread necromancy here:

Regarding your last point about having to start from scratch @chuck, you can ease the transition if you use an Express server within your Meteor app to act as an equivalent API server for an isolated React app.

However, the big migration issues are Meteor Accounts and the DB being Mongo (not an issue if you plan on using Mongo with Phoenix, but my preferred option is definitely SQL).

To update on my app’s transition from Meteor => Phoenix, our plans have changed. A substantial change to the business model meant that a good chunk (~50%) of the Meteor app (primarily user accounts) needed to be revised or rewritten. I took this as an opportunity to start a rebuild totally in Elixir, as it would also resolve the other (many) issues I’ve encountered running Meteor in production.

So far, I’m chewing through the migration of our entities (DB storage, basic CRUD functions, etc) and migrating all the Mongo collections to SQL tables aiming for 4th normal form where I can.

I’ll be rewriting the templating from React to EEX too, along with adding the new functionality required by the change in business model.

In short, it’s a significant amount of work, and not something I’ve decided to do lightly. Given the chance, I would now always start with Elixir from the off, even for simple prototypes. Whilst Meteor has settled down, I still feel that it’s too segregated from the rest of JS eco-system, and provides too much “magic”.