Anything as easy as 'Amber Deploy' for Phoenix?

You can use websockets on DO, but I haven’t from Elixir yet. Thus far my only project with them was on AWS, using a release.

Here’s [quote=“OvermindDL1, post:20, topic:12307”]
I hear digital ocean is pretty good, you should document your overall results and how it works!
[/quote]

Already done and it goes over getting set up on Nanobox, too!

1 Like

https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/standard/python/sockets/

It looks like GAE / GCP is now going to allow sockets, but currently only for paid accounts (or while in dev)…?

Curious, I wonder if they will extend that in the future.

I am using websockets on DO with a small demo phoenix application. It is working out out of the box without any problems. $5 plan.
Deployment using edeliver.

2 Likes

Heroku is expensive!

2 Likes

I think Heroku is the cheapest managed PaaS out there. It competes with products like Rackspace, Google App Engine, and Amazon Lambda.

I realize you’re probably comparing it to Digital Ocean or Linode. Those are completely different services, however. But even adding them to the mix: Heroku is still cheaper for me:

I’ve been using Linux since it was distributed on floppies (Slackware!). And so I’d deploy all my apps on Linode (awesome platform) thinking that I’d leverage my Linux expertise to manage the boxes.

But now I’m retiring those and moving to Heroku. As a sole-developer with no devops team, I love delegating the sysadmin work to Heroku and freeing up my time to focus on my product. I’ve realized that my time is extremely valuable, and the best use is to create business value, not to configure firewalls, do system updates, or tune Mysql.

Last week I deployed a multi-tenant app to Heroku with free, auto-renewing SSL certs active on five subdomains (e.g., newyork.public.law, texas.public.law, etc.) It took just 10 minutes. Would have taken hours if I’d configured it myself in Apache or Nginx.

If you have less Linux sysadmin experience than I do, the balance tips even more towards a PaaS like Heroku.

2 Likes

[I am affiliated with OpsCaptain] - OpsCaptain provides an easy way to deploy to Digital Ocean, or any infrastructure provider with a simple [opscaptain deploy] command. It uses the same Buildpack used on Heroku for deployment. The process is simple, simply buy a server on digital ocean or wherever of any size, provide OpsCaptain root access, you can then proceed to deploy unlimited Phoenix apps on your own server. It only starts at $7 per month to deploy unlimited apps on your server. Think of it as what forge does for the Laravel community but with more features of course. We also provide a 14 day free trial period. Hope this answer is permitted in the community. If not, Mods, feel free to flag it.

1 Like

Hi, I’m the founder of Gigalixir. I agree that it really sucks we don’t support Windows at the moment. It was a tough decision for us to detect and reject Windows, but we did it because many of the commands don’t work on Windows despite being written in Python. For example, gigalixir observer needs to set up ssh tunnels, modify iptables or pfctl rules, check used ports, etc. Also, almost all commands use netrc for authentication and that doesn’t work great on Windows. We definitely plan to add Windows support one day, but just not sure when.

3 Likes

Also, I’m not sure if it helps you at all, but you can technically use gigalixir without the gigalixir CLI.

There is a web UI. It doesn’t have feature parity, but you can create and scale apps. Deploying uses git push so you don’t need the CLI for that either. You’d need the CLI for things like setting configuration variables (coming to the web UI soon). In the meantime, you can try using the API directly via curl maybe. See this for details

4 Likes

Once you do get it working on Windows, I’d love to check it out!

2 Likes

Sorry it took so long, but we finally have windows support for the CLI (beta) as of 1.1.0. If you get a chance, give it a try and let me know how it goes for you.

4 Likes