Background Task with autokilling itself and repeated action each N minutes

Interestingly (or … maybe not? :wink: I’ve used the same technique in my comment above with one and two processes, depending on what I was trying to achieve…

Two processes to make sync work async (as you noted), but the same pattern but called directly to turn an async job into a sync one. I noted in one of my comments that one can use Node.spawn_link to run jobs across a cluster … I had one project where some of the code was already async but needed to make a (possibly) remote call somewhere on the cluster. It made the most sense to block on a remote call before continuing, and the “call the function, drop into a receive with a timeout” approach turned the remote call into a local syncronous function.

It’s a neat symmetry imho that the same function can be used to modify both sync->async and async->sync all depending on what process it is called from! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

In this particular case there are two timeouts

1. Is the data ready to be processed? timeout for this would be N minutes from OP’s description
  2. Is the data processing (* a job writes data to the database*) taking too long? this would be a different timeout.

So, based on what is desired this could be handled even with a single process

1 Like