Best Linux laptop for developers?

I know, I’m late to the game. But if you are living around Germany you can take a look at TUXEDO. I have the previous Infinitybook and I am very happy with it. Okay, you can get the same body from other manufacturers, but the hardware is specifically selected for running Linux and you can max it out without paying the “fancy hardware manufacturer tax” in the end. But the more important thing is their support. I was once on a trip through France, Spain, Portugal and back without a permanent address. They where perfectly happy to send me a replacement part somewhere to Spain even though it took three weeks in the end to get the failing part back on their side without charging me in the meantime. This is how support looks like! My next laptop will again be from TUXEDO!

8 Likes

Looks good!

My dell precision have already 2 years, I’m still pretty happy with it :+1: also I’ve got really good experience with business support from Dell in the past, with on site technician replacing keyboard, fan, etc without any extra costs :wink:

This is exactly why I have held onto my 2015 MBP and not upgraded. It works perfectly well for me without any issues.

I’m sorry if this comes off as overly negative but I just can say:

Stay. Away. From. Dell.

At least from the newer machines like the XPS 7390…

I’m currently having massive problems with their customer service. The unit I got has got the worst case of coil whine I’ve ever encountered and even though they sell a extended “premium” warranty with next businessday on site support, their logistics are so bad that they currently need at least 10 days only to get replacement parts into stock. They also refuse to take the unit back and I’ll have to deal with this kind of *%@$ for the next few weeks :angry:

So yeah, not a company I’ll do business with ever again…

Aside from that and to provide something constructive: the new models have a new BIOS the technical support is unaware of which doesn’t have legacy boot support anymore, so you might run into troubles booting with older grub (< 2.04) or kernel versions. In that case: use the latest version your distribution has to offer. You’ll also need at least kernel 5.3 to start X11.

4 Likes

Anyone tried dual booting Linux on the new surface laptop 3? I love the form factor and 3:2 aspect ratio for dev (so hard to find) but would like to know about running Linux before dropping so much cash on it.