Best Linux laptop for developers?

I’d just like to say that I’ve been developing with Bash on Windows with decent success. The only issue I’ve had so far is getting postgres running. I have postgres running in the windows environment and haven’t tried since, so it may be working at this point. This would at least give you a wider range of laptops you can use.

1 Like

Maybe a huge desktop 32 or 64 GB RAM, ssd + HD, 4k, and a Chromebook could be a good mix? Playing with your router and VPN you could access to such a beast on the road a have a ton of power (RAM, CPU, disk) when at home or office.

2 Likes

That is what I do with my Chromebook, a VNC-over-SSH connection home (or just SSH if the terminal is fine for what I’m doing, which is most of the time actually). ^.^

1 Like

You can use docker to run postgres.

1 Like

I just bought a 2015 macbook pro (15 inch) after using ubuntu/arch/manjaro/fedora/whatever for 5+ years. Couldnt be happier. I had to spend a day or two installing things like BetterTouchTool and HyperSwitch, but now I’m way more productive. No wasting time fixing things and what not, because everything just works.

3 Likes

seems Most use Dell XPS here…
I used to use dell but I bought a Thinkpad T440

i5 4300u, 8GB, plus I installed a 512GB SSD running on Linux Mint.

I just miss more ram, I would like to have 16gb but this motherboard only support 8GB :frowning:

My desktop(mostly for gaming) is a W10, i3, 4gb, Nvidia 650TI

1 Like

If anyone is looking for a great distro, give Solus a try: https://solus-project.com/

I have been using it as a daily driver on both my laptop and desktop for a while now and haven’t been disappointed

1 Like

I’ve been running Solus on my desktop for about 6 months. It’s not bad, I’ve had to manually install (via src or binary) more packages than I would like to, but overall its solid.

1 Like

Hi Aston, i am super happy with my Elitebook, its a little bit heavy, thats its only downside.

Display, keyboard, coolness, performance and the case are superb to me.

I prefer to buy second hand, here in the german language space exist a company that sells laptops with warranty and much cheaper, since they use refurbished off-leases.

HP Elitebook 8570p

2 Likes

For those wanting a MBP look-a-like, this might be the next best thing (apart from the display)

Xiaomi wasn’t shy about calling out Apple when announcing the new Mi Notebook Pro here in Beijing today, and on paper the company has a point. Xiaomi’s 15.6-inch laptop has a similar design, allegedly superior performance, and a more practical array of ports — two USB-A, two USB-C, full-size HDMI, and an SD card slot. Most impressively, it comes in at well under half the price for a comparably specced model.

2 Likes

I’ve been a happy user of two Asus laptops for Linux Mint. Currently I’ve got a 2016 Zenbook( Asus UX303UA), whose HD I upgraded to 512SSD and +8GB(total 16).
Pros:

• Light
  • Decent battery life 8-9h when coding/reading/browsing
  • Affordable: ~1100€ including the SSD and RAM upgrades
  • Light
  • Everything works out of the box
  • 3xUSB3.1, SD card reader, HDMI.

Cons:

• Trackpad and keyboard are alright, not great. My older Asus’s keyboard was better.
  • Audio: Low volume speakers, though good quality.

Any recommendation for a 17inch laptop, 16gb RAM at least, 2 slots for SSD, <= 3kg weight which nicely supports Linux?

Forgot to say: I’m located in Germany

3.42kg. Love mine fwiw.

Thanks.
Looks nice. Not cheap, a bit too heavy but a full replacement for a desktop PC.

I actually made the switch now, ditched my MBP 2 month ago, in favor of a Asus UX550VE, and Solus. I haven’t looked back since, absolutely love it, and haven’t missed anything other than iMessages.

You run Linux or Windows?

I just see there are no Asus Zenbook 17’’. So this is not for me, unfortunately.

Solus Linux yes. :slight_smile:

If you want 17 laptop why not to buy some mini pc and some 4k/ wide screen monitor. I don’t think so you wan’t to move 17 laptop often anyway. Intel nuc is very good for linux.

Taking a computing device with me (if needed) is very important to me. That’s why I use a laptop. 17’’ is a good compromise if I don’t want to use an external monitor.