Build a Weather Station with Elixir and Nerves (PragProg)

can you share what it’ll cover?

2 Likes

No, I can’t share until the book is a bit more developed. I’m not the editor on that project. I know it is going to be project-based and readers will be setting up some kind of embedded system with Elixir and Nerves.

2 Likes

I would really like to build the weather station this book is about, but I realized that finding those parts in my country (Slovakia) is non-trivial, at least from my short naive research. Maybe they have different names here, or some substitutions. Does somebody know about some EU shop that stocks those parts? I am able to buy the RPi, but not those exact sensors. Thanks a lot. :slight_smile:

P.S.: I really like the length of this book. I was just recently contemplating about project oriented highly specific books with roughly 100 pages. :slight_smile: Awesome!

3 Likes

take a look here:

3 Likes

With the whole supply chain going nuts right now it might be hard to find some pieces.
I was also on the look for a few parts and the majority of the places I saw don’t have on stock and can’t estimate the delivery time.
I was looking for in Europe as well.

3 Likes

Digikey seems to have all the qwiic parts in stock.
Other places to look (don’t know if they all deliver to .sk) are watterott, mouser, farnell, reichelt, conrad.

4 Likes

Thanks for the heads up.
I’ll go shopping tomorrow.

2 Likes

Let me jump in here and talk a bit about what we want to accomplish with this line. There’s a full nerves book in the works; this isn’t that. These books all have one central project, one central hardware theme (in this case, dealing with sensors), and one central software concept. In this case, the software concept is the collection and presentation of time-based metrics in the context of a Nerves project.

Alex has done a wonderful job here, and Frank has done an incredible job of supporting this effort. The goal is for this form factor to be a bit more accessible for both readers and folks who want to write about nerves.

If early returns are any indication, we hit the mark and we’ll continue to do more of them. Thanks to all who have contributed to our early success so far, and also to those who have made Nerves such a fabulous space for exploring.

If you have an interest in writing one of these, don’t sit on the idea! Hit me up and we’ll talk about what writing a mini-book like this looks like. We can help you find the Nerves skills you need if that’s a barrier. It’s more accessible than you think. Alex will chime in with his experience.

5 Likes

For those that know this better, can I ask for some advice/confirmation:
Instead of the SGP30 (Air Quality) and BME680 (Env sensor), would this combo (BME280 + CCS811) also work?
If I’m understanding this correctly they would achieve the same thing but with different specs?

2 Likes

Sure you could do that, but be aware, that these sensors don’t just give you a float value as measurement, you’d have to look into the datasheet how to convert the register values read to a usable float value. Also you would have to understand I2C addressing.

For a first project I’d stick with what the book covers, it will be hard enough.

Why do you want to use other sensors?

2 Likes

I can’t find the exact same sensors (SGP30 and BME680) from Qwiic, only some Bosch ones.
All my queries on digikey for those 2 come empty.

But thanks for the heads up, I was worried that changing parts would not be a good idea, and you confirmed it.

edit;
Nevermind, using the manufacturer part number I can find what I missed, but they don’t have in stock. I guess I was filtering only in stock items and wasn’t seeing them listed.
Thanks @Sebb for the tips.

edit2: Found the missing pieces elsewhere. Just puled the trigger. Cheers everyone.
edit3: Found every item either on digikey or noser.

3 Likes

Glad that you found the missing parts somewhere! The supply chain issues for sure are posing some challenges with regards to getting hardware. Be sure to share links to suppliers as you find hardware for future thread readers ;).

3 Likes

Unfortunately 3D printing is something that I have not gotten into yet (def on the list though). As a result I don’t think I would be the right person to spearhead the CAD model for a case (not sure if this also applies to Frank or Bruce).

That being said, I would 100% help out in any way I could to get that incorporated into the project/book. If you or someone else in the Elixir community could create a CAD model for a case we can add that to the GitHub source for the project and can even call it out in the book if the model is publicly available.

2 Likes

No Raspberry Pi Zero W’s to be found in Australia last time I looked. Fortunately I have a ‘spare’ - which is a euphemism for ‘bought ages ago in a fit of enthusiasm and never found a good use for’. Now I have!

4 Likes

I buy every book about elixir from PragProg and this one will be no different :grin:

4 Likes

Thanks for the support! Much appreciated :smiley:

3 Likes

Purchased. Been itching to get into nerves for a while (haven’t wielded a soldering iron in anger since 555 timer chips were a thing).

6 Likes

555 timers and op amps… ahh, those were the days! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I plan to automate my new home using what o gonna learn with the book, ahahaha

4 Likes

OK, so I found an european e-shop, that has all the parts in stock, except for the Raspi. Raspi is in stock in another e-shop we have here. Also, I didn’t link the MicroSD card + reader and the micro USB cables, since I own these already. Hope this could help somebody. :slight_smile:

7 Likes