Clueless Wife needs help with elixir themed Father’s Day gift

I was directed here via Reddit. I am not sure what the etiquette is on this site so forgive me if this is the wrong place to ask for this help.

My husband recently got a great job using Elixir which is his favorite programming language. I literally know nothing about programming/coding. This is going to be my husband’s first Father’s Day being a dad! I wanted to make him a poster or t-shirt with some elixir code on it celebrating the fact that he is an awesome father. It could also include our sons name.

I was hoping someone could help me by writing a few lines of code about this. I hope this makes sense. I do not know enough about this stuff to even know if this is something that can be done! Thank you.

-Clueless Wife

37 Likes

This is awesome, so sweet! ^.^

What kind of code are you wanting? Do you want to encode a message into it, do you want to kind of ‘hide’ it so he has to pay attention to the code or do you want it to be obvious? Do you want it to be generic code or something specific like from the primary source? Etc…? :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thanks so much! So I honestly don’t know. I had two ideas but don’t know which would work better or “look” better when written in code. I was either thinking a message akin to what I would write to him in a card. Something like this: Since our son’s birth, you have become the world’s greatest dad.
You are hardworking, patient, caring and fun. Son’s-Name gets the biggest smile on his face when you enter a room. We both love you more with each passing day. Happy Father’s Day!

But then I also see things like this (disclaimer I have no idea what programming language this is, if any :sweat_smile:) where I think it looks cute specifically because of how the code is laid out. And maybe something like that could be…translated to be about Father’s Day instead of a baby.

I am really open to any suggestions since I’m so clueless as to how programming works

1 Like
❤️ 💚 💙 💛 💜
    dad
    |> mom
    "kid"
❤️ 💚 💙 💛 💜

maybe substitute with the real first names…

this one is almost R-rated… which kinda also makes it funny, yet it is totally innocent… (the “|>” is the “pipe operator” and some people read it as “piped into” :/) so apologies if you have different humor…

the heart emoji is much used in the community like here https://github.com/elixir-lang/elixir/pull/9070 - so he will most likely recognize that…

else you can ask the console eg:

iex(1)> Worlds.best_dad()
"dad's name"
iex(2)> Worlds.best_etc()
"etc"

for semantics you can use elixir lingo… like:
he has high concurrency
responds with low latency
great at garbage collection
even with all schedulers busy, he gets the job done
etc.

24 Likes

I really loved this ones :rofl:

2 Likes

Thank you so much for these ideas! I like the play-on-words one :laughing: it’s cheeky, which is great.

I will be honest in that I don’t get the second one at all but I’m pretty sure that’s only because it’s elixir lingo and like I said I’m clueless!

2 Likes

What a lovely thought @Cluelesswife!

Some great ideas here already, and I was wondering whether an Elixir Struct might be useful for this…

If anyone wants to expand on it or suggest edits (or point out any typos/mistakes), please do! Here’s the code:

%Dad{
  name: "his full name",
  handsome?: true,
  intelligent?: true,
  kind?: true,
  best_father_in_the_world?: true,
  best_husband_in_the_world?: true
}

%Message{
}
9 Likes

yes yes yes!! Thank you so much! Something like this is perfect too! I love it!

2 Likes

Great! :smiley: Was there anything specific you wanted to include? If so let us know and we’ll adjust it for you. But basically you can add pretty much anything so long as you stick to the format. Each item in the Struct is indented by two spaces, and the last one in the Struct does not have a comma.

As @outlog mentioned the multi-coloured hearts are also quite well-known in Elixir, they are often used as a thank you :heart::green_heart::blue_heart::yellow_heart::purple_heart: (or sometimes the single purple coloured heart is used :purple_heart:). Perhaps these could be printed on the T-shirt somewhere like the ladybird in the example you showed us?

If you have any questions, no matter how silly it might sound, please ask :blush:

2 Likes

This is indeed a very sweet and lovely idea!

Many great advises were already given; if you want, we might translate plain English to valid Elixir code. Just post the text you want to appear there on the t-shirt :slight_smile:

1 Like

I loved this one :rofl:

3 Likes

Thank you guys so much! What a great community :grinning: I think what I am going to do is look it all over today if I can find time and then reach back out of if I think it needs tweaking. But I seriously love all these ideas! And then I’ll be sure to share the end product I end up making!

9 Likes

What a sweet idea. What a great community.

A small variation of outlog’s idea.

@dad    
|> Love.map(&mom/1)
{:kids_name, :moms_name, :dads_name} 

What says more “we belong together” than a tuple.

6 Likes

one thing is any code write you probably want to use a monospaced font, to make it look like code…

you most likely have “Courier” or “Monaco” on your computer… either is fine https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Courier_(typeface) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monaco_(typeface)

also try to use the “coloring” you see in this thread… eg:

"red"
@blue
{:kids_name, :moms_name, :dads_name} 
2 Likes

Quick question about this-
To make it accurate, would I keep the quotation marks around where I’m supposed to put his name and the other couple areas there are quotation marks? Or do I remove the quotation marks a and just insert his name in/other info? Thank you so much for the help!

Oh good suggestion! Thanks yeah I’ll want to make sure it’s in one of those fonts

You would keep the quotation marks, they mean “text”, so for example "your_name" would be "John Doe"

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts: this is a great idea too! I’m thinking of getting a little 12 month old shirt made for our son to kind of match his, maybe I’ll swap out dad with his name and use this too for that

Yep, keep the quote marks as per the example :smiley:

Here is a made up example to give you an idea what it could look like:

%Dad{
  name: "James Bond",
  handsome: true,
  intelligent: true,
  kind: true,
  best_father_in_the_world: true,
  best_husband_in_the_world: true
}

%Message{
}

You can change the order (just remember the last one does not have a comma) and of course you can add however many you like. Numbers are not in quotes, just sentences. true or false are not in quotes either and you don’t need a ? on the ends of those if you don’t want them (as per the example in this post) - just go with what looks better to you :023:

If you have anymore questions just let us know :smiley:

2 Likes

Don’t forget to send the message too! ^.^

dad = %Dad{
  name: "James Bond",
  handsome: true,
  intelligent: true,
  kind: true,
  best_father_in_the_world: true,
  best_husband_in_the_world: true
}

msg = %Message{