Code Reviews

Hello Everyone!

I have always wondered where most people have their code reviewed? I spent a couple years in the Rails world learning on my own and I really thought that it was mostly just a perk for a junior dev when they got their first job; having more experienced developers review and critique your code.

I ended up getting a Rails job, but there was only one other developer who wouldn’t actually review my code other than a quick skim.

Now that I have been learning and building elixir projects I would love feedback, but I am currently self employed running a business from home.

Where do most people get their code reviewed? My first application is close to being ready to deploy into production and would love to see how my app would compare to the “elixir” way to do things. Whether this is free or not.

1 Like

What is your expectation of this code review?

when you mention the “elixir” way are you just talking syntax and code structuring?

you could always take a look at the elixir source code or some other great opensource projects

I would argue that the best way to improve your knowledge is to read other peoples code be it either “good” or “bad”.

I see “code” as an art form.

1 Like

I agree that I think that looking through code is a great way to learn more, and this is generally what I have been doing. When I was working at the Rails gig, the other developer would occasionally suggest ways I could refactor, and they would often be common techniques within the Ruby community that I didn’t know about (think facades and whatnot). I found having just a few questions at how I approached something got me thinking about the problem differently and this is something I don’t think you can achieve just looking through code.

Elixir is my first functional language and I often wonder if I am taking a functional approach at the right time or if I am way off base.

1 Like

Doing this well and consistently takes a lot of effort and discipline. Most shops I’ve been in don’t bother much, but in my current job we really make it a priority. Honestly even with effort and deep familiarity with the same application it is hard to get passed surface concerns - consistent style and idioms are well guarded but when we catch bugs or missing test cases its usually via manual testing I’m afraid. Still, I’m sure there is a lot you could learn with a few hours consulting with someone experienced, both in your code and in how you manage your CI and production deployment. If you are serious - and this is a real business - that is what it will take, I’d post in the Elixir jobs section. Probably 8-12 hours would get you the most bang for your buck. I don’t think the product agencies can take on work that small or I’d recommend you talk to one them (Thoughtbot, Dockyard, Platformatec etc.).

2 Likes

Does your current contract (I’m somehow under the impression that you’re doing contract work for clients) allow for you to distribute your code? In that case, making it available to the public is a great way to improve it and get insight. I think it’s just a matter of making it available to the forum at that point.

1 Like

This is what I was looking for because you’re right, I wouldn’t choose code reviews as my sole avenue of learning. My wife and I run a small web development shop in a small town and now that I am switching from Ruby to Elixir for my larger complex apps I want to have as solid of a foundation as I can. How much would an experienced elixir developer expect to charge for 8-12 hours of time?

1 Like

Well, I think the best way to answer that question is to either post on the job board, contact a firm or headhunt one you like and make them an offer. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Like StackExchange code review ?