Community Context Exercise/Learning Discussion

In that particular case I was purely focused on determining where the responsibility for “composing the email” was - I wasn’t trying to determine a full picture of all the contexts involved - as a matter of fact the more I think about - even that URL/web page shouldn’t be the Account context’s responsibility - because that’s about “the Web” - not Accounts; contexts collect cohesive capabilities. You’re probably familiar with this quote:

Every block of stone has a statue inside it and it is the task of the sculptor to discover it. Michelangelo

Context’s within a domain are typically not discovered by some deterministic process - usually it takes some poking and prodding to find out what needs to stay together (high cohesion) and what should be separated (low coupling).

@gregvaughn

The “how would I organize this if I had to operate and sequence this functionality on the command line” is an incredibly useful thought experiment - trying to define small highly focused commands that can perform work based on their own autonomous data has the tendency to shake loose things that can be separated while highlighting what needs to stay together.

The “password reset” (actually I was more thinking of “forgot password” to be honest) I’m talking about is a user-scenario or use-case. It starts with someone clicking a button on a web page, resulting with a message in the users email, which contains a link to a web page that lets the user specify a new password. The Account context supports this scenario but it is only really interested in

• Issuing some sort of perishable correlation ID that needs to be associated with the new password
  • Consuming the correlation ID together with the new password in order to verify that the correlation ID is valid and hasn’t expired - in which case it accepts the new password.

However there are many other parts of the use-case that need to be implemented - so a use case crosses many contexts. Setting up web pages with dynamically generated URLs, composing emails, sending emails aren’t in “Account’s” job description.

Ideally, at any point you should be able to change how the context works internally and provided you haven’t changed the interface its clients should not care. So “when something else” takes over “Account’s” responsibilities you should be able implement the pre-existing interface with a wrapper implementation and keep going - if changesets are part of your interface that isn’t going to happen because it is unlikely that the replacement supports changesets - as that technology is tied to Ecto.

I disagree - identifying areas of high cohesion and low coupling has always been a design goal even in monoliths to enhance maintainability (partially through replaceability). In fact it’s a strategy used when moving to microservices - first identify the boundaries within the monolith then refactor to reflect the boundaries before finally splitting off the microservice. The advantage in a microservice is that the boundary is physically enforced - in a monolith the boundary is largely conceptual and only maintained through developer discipline - violating context boundaries in a monolith is incredibly easy and often tempting (undoing the benefit of keeping it clean in the first place).

If you define a context per table you essentially just end up with Table Modules which is hardly an improvement over Rail’s Active Record.

• The point is that there is always an upfront cost to loose coupling.
  • If loose coupling is applied in the wrong place (i.e. not at a “natural” boundary) then it’s going to keep costing without ever generating any return.
  • However loose coupling in the right place pays huge dividends in terms of maintainability. Typically it manifests itself in terms of replaceability - especially when multiple changes hit the same context - while the interface to the context manages to isolate the clients of the context from those changes.
  • Unbridled tight coupling (never-ending shortcuts) will leave you with the proverbial big ball of mud.

The wrong boundaries are just as bad as no (or too few, too large) boundaries. Finding the optimal boundaries is rarely a picnic - typically it requires that you understand the domain quite well - often better than the stakeholder, service owner, project/product champion - it is far from a cookie cutter affair.

A map is a very generic Elixir data structure - changeset is not - compare the functions that support Map vs Changeset - so a map is preferable - a struct is good as long as it reflects a domain concept - Changeset is all about functionality that Ecto supports but nothing directly domain related. However within the context you can use Changeset (as arguments/return values of private functions that support the public functions) as it is likely that the implementation of a context would be replaced wholesale anyway.

Yes, but an error tuple is idiomatic in Erlang and therefore Elixir - so it is the context implementation’s responsibility to extract the error message from the Changeset and to wrap it in an error tuple before returning it to a client

My argument is that if it’s necessary to expose Changeset you’ve either

• chosen the wrong boundary or
  • implemented a poor interface along the boundary
4 Likes