Convincing someone Elixir/Phoenix will still be thriving in 5 years

Yep :slight_smile: but I think what people have been mentioning most is that’s not easy enough and things like not being able to use Phoenix and Ecto isn’t possible… however I recently saw a post saying that it’s not actually possible to call every Erlang library in Elixir either (which I always thought was a great selling point for Elixir)… so we definitely need more clarity and discussion on this imo.

You could probably guess… but… a social network :003: (as well as a few smaller apps to help get aquatinted with the language and eco-system).

I actually created a social network for a specific community as one of my first Rails apps, and that’s when I first discovered I might struggle with using Ruby/Rails for the bigger SN and that experience is what started me on my quest for something else. At first that was within Ruby (Volt) but then not long after that Phoenix arrived on the scene with a lot of the benefits that Volt was offering - and then some! :smiley:

Nice! Are any of these completed/public? If so you should definitely think about posting them in our #community:showcase section :sunglasses:

That’s awesome! I think one of the reasons people were drawn to Elixir (and Phoenix) was because of the promise of showing us a ‘better way’. In fact I still think this is something that could become part of the draw in a big way and we’ve had some discussions about some of these things in the past.

1 Like