Curiosum Blog

How database transactions work in Ecto and why Elixir makes it awesome?

Curiosum is a blog for curious people :slight_smile: There are two of us - myself and Michał. We mostly write about Elixir programming, but not only. This is our first post, let us know what you think!

9 Likes

What’s the difference between alias, import, require and use in Elixir?

Handling dependencies is a pretty basic topic, however pretty confusing when you start your journey with a programming language. I’ve done my best to cover how it’s done in Elixir.

Any questions or suggestions? Let me know :wink:

2 Likes

Does your blog have an rss feed?

1 Like

Unfortunately not yet, but we’re working on bringing any kind of content subscription to life.
Pretty soon you’ll be able to subscribe via:

• RSS feed,
  • email,
  • push notifications.

We’ll let you know once it’s ready :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@AndyL You can use RSS feed from now on :slight_smile:

We also added an email newsletter and push notifications. If you find any issue with any of these three, let me know. Feedback is always welcome :wink:

3 Likes

Got it thanks!

https://curiosum.dev/blog/rss.xml

2 Likes
3 Likes

Thanks! This was a very good article especially for beginners.

2 Likes

@mchean Great to hear that, thanks!

Our newest article Modern Talking with Elixir: Build a Messenger App with Phoenix LiveView is out!

This is the beginning of a series of tutorials where Michał will show you step by step how to create an application (based on Phoenix LiveView) similar to the Messenger app we are all familiar with.

If you want to be up-to-date you can sign up to the newsletter or push notifications :wink:

4 Likes

Hey, we’ve just issued a new article - Elixir Trickery: Using Macros & Metaprogramming Without Superpowers.

Metaprogramming sounds scary, but in Elixir you don’t need supernatural powers to use it to great success - find out how, why and when to do this. Plus, there are practical examples of what macros can actually help you with!

Let us know whether you like it, and do subscribe to our newsletter or push notifications!

1 Like

Hello again, we’ve published another episode of our Modern Talking with Elixir series - this time we’re actually bootstrapping our Phoenix LiveView app with a database structure for a Messenger app, and creating our initial LiveView page.

We appreciate your feedback, and - as always - please subscribe to follow us :slight_smile:

We’ve added a new Modern Talking with Elixir episode - dealing with live updates via Phoenix PubSub and authenticating users with Pow.

It’s not the last part, so we encourage you to wait for more of this :slight_smile:

Looks great!

I got two comments for the Pow section:

1. You could move the :cache_store_backend option to the config rather than having it at the endpoint, but I definitely prefer to have most of the config as close as possible to the relevant code rather than in the app env. This may have been the intention, but wasn’t clear to me.

2. Pow by default assigns :current_user to the conn, so you only need a plug that can preload what’s needed. That plug would essentially be the same as the current one though, but the description of makes it sound like :current_user isn’t assigned by default.