Data Serialization in Phoenix Channels

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I’m doing this in place of opening an issue on GitHub.

Are the requirements for how to write a client for Phoenix sockets written down anywhere. I also saw another (even older) post on this forum here Specification of the protocol used by Phoenix channels - #10 by LostKobrakai.

My problem is that reading the docs here Phoenix.Socket.Message — Phoenix v1.7.10, it says:

The message format requires the following keys:

:topic - The string topic or topic:subtopic pair namespace, for example "messages", "messages:123"
:event- The string event name, for example "phx_join"
:payload - The message payload
:ref - The unique string ref
:join_ref - The unique string ref when joining

So reading that, it seems like a proper message should be a hash (JSON object) with keys. But this isn’t the case. As noted above, the serializers and the official javascript client both create an array, in a particular order:

let payload = [
      msg.join_ref, msg.ref, msg.topic, msg.event, msg.payload
    ]
    return callback(JSON.stringify(payload))

I came across this issue because I’m using Clojurescript on the client, and was having an impossible time trying to connect re-graph (a graphql client for the re-frame) to Phoenix/Absinthe subscriptions. Apparently the Lacinia server does something completely different, but it took me ages to drill down in the code enough to figure out that I need to send a JSON array, not a JSON object, and then to find exactly the order of the elements. I was so frustrated that I almost considered switching to a Clojure-based backend (but my Java error message PTSD pushed me to try harder to debug this!).

Given that there is no documentation of what is expected to communicate over this channel, I also don’t know the rules behind “ref” and “join_ref”. Can I just make up integers? Should “ref” increment with every new message sent over the channel? It certainly seems from the developer tools console that the Phoenix live code reloading heartbeat increments ref every time. The first message is

["3","3","phoenix:live_reload","phx_join",{}]

and then subsequent messages are:

[null,"4","phoenix","heartbeat",{}]
[null,"5","phoenix","heartbeat",{}]

Thanks in advance for pointers of what to read. I’m also willing to write a draft doc, something that could be linked in here: https://github.com/phoenixframework/phoenix/blob/master/guides/realtime/channels.md#client-libraries

1 Like