Designing Elixir Systems with OTP (Pragprog)

I’m currently reading Elixir In Action (chap 11) and have found it a beautiful introduction to OTP. (thanks @sasajuric :pray:)

Having flicked through some pages of Designing Elixir Systems with OTP, and it seems there are some similarities (building own genserver etc).

Whilst I’m certain Designing Elixir Systems with OTP would be a fantastic read regardless, I just wanted to get peoples thoughts on whether it is a good choice as a follow up for EIA?

Also, is there a 2020 Elixir Forum discount for PragProg books?

Very much looking forward to this!

4 Likes

Hi,

I just started this book and I couldn’t start the iex -S mix on the boundary tests section.
(Postgrex.Error) FATAL 3D000 (invalid_catalog_name) database “mastery_dev” does not exist

Help!

Thanks!

Assuming, you have a PostgreSQL database running, you should just run mix ecto.setup to create and (maybe) seed your database.
If that command is not there, try running mix do ecto.create, ecto.migrate

thanks! figured it out there was another directory that had the repo the mastery_persistence and I had to run the command from there. Thanks!

1 Like

What other directory? You should run the command from the root directory of the project.

in the boundary tests directory there are 2 main directories one for mastery and one for mastery_persistence but when I run it on the top level it has the error.

The book follows the ‘poncho’ style organisation (1 project importing 1 data persistence project), so there are two top level directories: mastery (all the stuff) and mastery_persistence.

The poncho approach isn’t described in much great detail in the book, or elsewhere for that matter :smiley:

1 Like

thanks! I was re-reading the book and it didn’t mention it specifically and nobody has asked why its not working before so I thought it was just me. hehe

1 Like