Developer - Nightingale Open Science, Chicago, IL & Berkeley, CA, USA, Remote USA

Introductory paragraph

Hi everyone. I’m looking for an Elixir developer to join me at a small nonprofit called Nightingale Open Science. Here’s a recent article in Nature Medicine that summarizes what we’re doing: Solving medicine’s data bottleneck: Nightingale Open Science.

About us

My name: Josh Risley
My position: CTO
Company name: Nightingale Open Science

Company info and history:

We launched in January. In a nutshell, we have a Phoenix application serving as the brain for a system that provides academic AI researchers with access to de-identified medical data. Users who are admitted to the platform can launch a JupyterLab notebook server with Python. From there, users can collaborate with their research team and generally manage their own computing resources on demand. The platform basically exists to satisfy two stakeholders. For healthcare providers, we need to provide security assurances that make it palatable to contribute data to public-good research. For academic researchers, we need to provide a reasonably productive computing environment.

The surface area for the web application is relatively small compared to infrastructure orchestration.

We are incubating within the University of Chicago and funded by a number of philanthropies. You would be the second full-time developer, besides me. I was helped by two great contractors to get from prototype to production, so it’s been about a three person dev team for the last nine months or so. We’re remote only. A senior developer would be great in this situation, but I’m interested and totally expecting to talk with people whose experience ranges from entry-level up.

About the job

Job title: Full Stack Developer
Job description: Focus on Phoenix development. Expand into container orchestration, cloud infrastructure, etc. as you get comfortable.
Salary range: Commensurate with experience
Position on remote work: Remote. Current team members are in Chicago and Berkeley.

Qualifications or experience required:

• Already has a good understanding of full stack web development
  • Wants to learn Elixir
  • Wants to learn DevOps and container orchestration

What the successful job applicant will be working on:

You’ll focus on the Phoenix application that drives our platform. Because it’s a small team and an infrastructure-intensive project, you’ll be exposed to… everything. You don’t need to have experience with all these, but the more the better.

• AWS, GCP
  • Terraform
  • Containers, Docker Compose, AWS ECS, Kubernetes
  • VPC networking and security
  • Linux system administration, HPC clusters
  • Python, Go

About the interview process

1. 20 minute intro conversation with me
  2. 2-3 hour take home work sample test
  3. Technical interview
  4. Non-technical interview(s)

Further info

If this sounds interesting, I’d love to talk with you. Read the job description and apply here.

(Also as an Elixir newcomer myself, I’ve been totally floored by this community. Cheers, all!)

Josh

6 Likes

Sounds great, good luck Josh
I wish I lived in the US. Some interesting elixir offerings rise on that side of the earth

Nice to see Elixir/Phoenix used for something so worthwhile.

1 Like

I applied and the UoC WD job application system didn’t give me a chance to include a cover letter explaining that I’m not senior level for Elixir but I want to provide details on personal Elixir projects.