Dialyzer does not catch errors on returned functions

Background

While playing around with dialyzer, typespecs and currying, I was able to create an example of a false positive in dialyzer. After talking to some people, I was recommended to post the issue here.

For the purposes of this MWE, I am using diallyxir (versions included) because it makes my life easier. The author of dialyxir confirmed this was not a problem on their side, so that possibility is excluded for now.

Environment

$ elixir -v
Erlang/OTP 24 [erts-12.2.1] [source] [64-bit] [smp:12:12] [ds:12:12:10] [async-threads:1] [jit]
Elixir 1.13.2 (compiled with Erlang/OTP 24)
  • Which version of Dialyxir are you using? (cat mix.lock | grep dialyxir):
"dialyxir": {:hex, :dialyxir, "1.1.0", "c5aab0d6e71e5522e77beff7ba9e08f8e02bad90dfbeffae60eaf0cb47e29488", [:mix], [{:erlex, ">= 0.2.6", [hex: :erlex, repo: "hexpm", optional: false]}], "hexpm", "07ea8e49c45f15264ebe6d5b93799d4dd56a44036cf42d0ad9c960bc266c0b9a"},
"erlex": {:hex, :erlex, "0.2.6", "c7987d15e899c7a2f34f5420d2a2ea0d659682c06ac607572df55a43753aa12e", [:mix], [], "hexpm", "2ed2e25711feb44d52b17d2780eabf998452f6efda104877a3881c2f8c0c0c75"},

Current behavior

Given the following code sample:

defmodule PracticingCurrying do

@spec greater_than(integer()) :: (integer() -> String.t())
  def greater_than(min) do
    fn number -> number > min end
  end

end

Which clearly has a wrong typing, I get a success message:

$ mix dialyzer
Compiling 1 file (.ex)
Generated grokking_fp app
Finding suitable PLTs
Checking PLT...
[:compiler, :currying, :elixir, :gradient, :gradualizer, :kernel, :logger, :stdlib, :syntax_tools]
Looking up modules in dialyxir_erlang-24.2.1_elixir-1.13.2_deps-dev.plt
Finding applications for dialyxir_erlang-24.2.1_elixir-1.13.2_deps-dev.plt
Finding modules for dialyxir_erlang-24.2.1_elixir-1.13.2_deps-dev.plt
Checking 518 modules in dialyxir_erlang-24.2.1_elixir-1.13.2_deps-dev.plt
Adding 44 modules to dialyxir_erlang-24.2.1_elixir-1.13.2_deps-dev.plt
done in 0m24.18s
No :ignore_warnings opt specified in mix.exs and default does not exist.

Starting Dialyzer
[
  check_plt: false,
  init_plt: '/home/user/Workplace/fl4m3/grokking_fp/_build/dev/dialyxir_erlang-24.2.1_elixir-1.13.2_deps-dev.plt',
  files: ['/home/user/Workplace/fl4m3/grokking_fp/_build/dev/lib/grokking_fp/ebin/Elixir.ImmutableValues.beam',
   '/home/user/Workplace/fl4m3/grokking_fp/_build/dev/lib/grokking_fp/ebin/Elixir.PracticingCurrying.beam',
   '/home/user/Workplace/fl4m3/grokking_fp/_build/dev/lib/grokking_fp/ebin/Elixir.TipCalculator.beam'],
  warnings: [:unknown]
]
Total errors: 0, Skipped: 0, Unnecessary Skips: 0
done in 0m1.02s
done (passed successfully)

Expected behavior

I expected dialyzer to tell me the correct spec is @spec greater_than(integer()) :: (integer() -> bool()).

As a side note (and comparison, if you will) gradient does pick up the error.
I know that comparing these tools is like comparing oranges and apples, but I think it is still worth mentioning.

Questions

1. Is dialyzer not intended to catch this type of error?
  2. If it should catch the error, what can possibly be failing? (is it my example that is incorrect, or something inside dialyzer?)

I personally find it hard to believe this could be a bug in Dialyzer, the tool has been used rather extensively by a lot of people for me to be the first to discover this error. However, I cannot explain what is happening.

Help is appreciated.

3 Likes

It seems that dialyzer in this case isn’t sure if this is an error (not sure why though).

Adding another function to the module:

def greater_than_3 do
  greater_than(3)
end

results in the following typespec suggested by dialyzer(elixir-ls):
@spec greater_than_3 :: (integer -> none).

However removing the typespec on greater_than/1 it updates to:
@spec greater_than_3 :: (any -> boolean).

So for some reason (even with any combination of :overspecs or :underspecs) dialyzer doesn’t seem to take issue with (integer -> none) being different than (any -> boolean) as the return type for greater_than/1.

Is this a bug I could report in some place?
Is there a more specific channel where people specialized in this area could provide some input?

Answer

As far as I can understand, Dialyzer wont perform checks on input and output types of returned anonymous functions. The following example, much like mine, is incorrect, but the tool won’t complain:

# no error
@spec add(integer()) :: (String.t() -> String.t())
def add(x) do
  fn y -> x + y end
end

It will however point out a mismatch in arity, e.g.

# invalid_contract
# The @spec for the function does not match the success typing of the function.

@spec add2(integer()) :: (integer(), integer() -> integer())
def add2(x) do
  fn y -> x + y end
end

If however, we try to call the function, Dialzyer might detect that the input and output types are incorrect, but if it does so there is a good chance it will default to the "Function has no local return" error message.

There is an excellent reply in StackOverflow (which I have quickly summarized here) that explains this behavior in more detail and even though we (I and the person replying) were not able to find a specific reason to the “why” of this happening, the empirical tests and samples are still of considerable value.

Upon skimming through the Dialyzer paper I found I was still unable to understand why the algorithm behaves this way, but I will leave it here in case someone else has a different take on it and is able to better understand this specific case: