Dialyzex - an alternative Mix task for dialyzer

Hey, thanks contributing in this space. I wish you’d consider contribution to dialyxir but competition is healthy too.

Still, there are only two other dialyzer solutions for Elixir that I know of, and one of them is dormant and redirects to Dialyxir, which I maintain. So, when you say in your README “Existing Solutions may not…” - its hard not think of it as referring to anything else; but maybe that’s just my perspective.

Anyway, for the record:

These features you mention exist in Dialyxir:

• ANSI-colored output.
  • Exits non-zero when dialyzer produces warnings (good for continuous integration usage).
  • Calls the dialyzer OTP library directly rather than shelling out to the executable (it used to shell, but hasn’t since 0.5 which was released in February).

These do not:

• Defaults to the strictest set of warnings available in Dialyzer, except for the few that are overly expensive. - This is a non-goal and in fact how Dialyxir behaved for its first couple of years of life. Fish’s argument convinced me its not the best for the community (and some of the costs are externalized from the project mainter, to Stackoverflow, IRC, and the forums). Of course you can turn on more flags, and I could see adding strict options to turn that set on all together but if you want a different default, maybe we need two different packages…

• Layered PLT files - Dialyxir maintains separate Elixir and Erlang PLTs but combines them with the application dependences in the project directory - Using multiple separate files at runtime is a better idea and would be worth adding.

• Ability to ignore acceptable warnings based on match patterns. - This is probably worth adding to Dialyxir. The current string-based ignore matching is easy to understand and use but not as flexible.

Finally, I’d encourage you to read Jose’s issue on Dialyxir. Interpretation and explanation of the error messages produced by Dialyzer is one place there is really a lot of room of improvement and innovation in this space.

8 Likes