Dropbear ssh server on nerves device

@GregMefford thanks for your interest!

I think the first place I looked was the Systems page. I think is a better place to add the init information than the FAQ.

When I started to work with nerves, the documentation didn’t provide all the information I needed. I come from the web world, and even though I have knowledge on systems, I didn’t know a lot about buildroot, busybox, and so on. I had to find information about that.

For me it would had been very helpful a reference page informing how nerves has been built, and what is and what is not. Also some information about the tools nerves is based on, and the initial system you get with nerves. I found this reply from @ConnorRigby useful.

Usually, people come to nerves because they have a project in mind, and the project involves several stages, like setup, customization, setting up other packages, communicating using IO ports, sensors, UI interfaces… I’m not saying that we have to include all the stages in the documentation, but at least a section like “Where to go from here” or “What you can do now” that points to other documentation for those tasks. This will be useful for a newcomer that has a project in mind and doesn’t know exactly what it’s needed for getting it working.

I’ve been impressed with the community in this forum, providing quick and really helpful replies. If it wasn’t for this forum I probably had abandoned nerves. Also, the library Nerves init gadget was very helpful, and without it I probably had also abandoned. I know that it was designed for the Raspberry Pi Zero, and I’m using Raspberry Pi 3 but I need it, because it has some useful tools that I couldn’t have created myself, and I use a lot, specially mDNS, OTA firmware updates and RingLogger.

Said this, after every step I made through making my project work, I was impressed about nerves. I’m really thankful to the community and the developers that made this possible. Elixir (with OTP) and embedded devices is a perfect match made possible by this great project.

If I can contribute to this project I’d be happy to. I really like it. I don’t have experience yet and I almost have no free time on my life :slight_smile: but I would try to spend some time on it if there are some small and easy tasks I could do.

By the way, there are some open source projects based on Nerves that impressed me a lot, and got me excited about the possibilities of creating a better world. I’m talking about Farmbot, but I’m sure there are many other great projects over there too.

Thank you all the core developers, for creating this and being so helpful.

4 Likes