Ecto.Query warning on compilation

I just got back to my Phoenix project after half a year absence, and my Elixir is a bit Rusty (mainly due to getting very exited after writing my first production app in Rust :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

Anyway, I got this simple query

def list_cases do
    query = from case in Case,
      preload: [department: :court],
      preload: [:plaintiff, :defendant]
    Repo.all(query)
  end

And I get warning like this

warning: variable "case" does not exist and is being expanded to "case()", please use parentheses to remove the ambiguity or change the variable name

Am I doing something wrong, or is it due to how from dynamically composes actual SQL query? Is there something I can do to use “keyword queries”, as they are very readable, but get rid of those errors?

Did you import Ecto.Query in the module somewhere?

1 Like
defmodule Office.Litigation do
  import Ecto.Query
  import Ecto.Changeset

alias Office.Repo
  alias Office.Litigation.Case

def list_cases do
    query = from case in Case,
      preload: [department: :court],
      preload: [:plaintiff, :defendant]
    Repo.all(query)
  end

def change_case(%Case{} = case) do
      case
      |> Case.changeset()
      |> cast_assoc(:plaintiff)
      |> cast_assoc(:defendant)
      |> cast_assoc(:department)
  end
end

That’s how whole module looks actually. But I got other I think unrelated errors elsewhere, because I moved files around and try to extract clutter from controllers to context. I’ll get back to this, after I’ll fix those other errors.

A guess would be that since case is a reserved word, something weird is happening with compilation.

(so try using something other than case)

Oh, I first gone with c then changed to case. I’m guessing the issue is far deeper, but since I didn’t have time to fix all compilation errors yet, I have no idea what it may be. If I find the root cause, I’ll write here, nevertheless I thank you all for all ideas :slight_smile: