EF Team over on exercism

We have nearly 40 members on exercism.io now, but I can’t see much of reviews or discussions on the code.

I’d really appreciate if you could look at each others code and do some commenting.

2 Likes

Cool, my username is muhifauzan. It’s been a while since the last time I visit exercism. I’m glad to be invited to.

2 Likes

I’d like to join please. My github username is stevenxl. Thank you!

2 Likes

I’d love to join for some feedback both ways. Github is terakilobyte

2 Likes

I’d also like to join the team. My GitHub name is: jsonify

Thanks.

2 Likes

I’d like an invite as well.
wolverineks

Thanks

2 Likes

This looks interesting, I’d be curious. :slight_smile:
Github username: overminddl1

2 Likes

Github markman123

2 Likes

I think I never noticed this thread :stuck_out_tongue:
I’d be very interested to join.
I am @Insanitariume
Ty

2 Likes

I finished exercism in Elixir a couple of years ago, but it’s much different now.

1 Like

You have to join exercism using your github account, only then I can invite you by your github username. There is no way to invite by email.

My github username is gvaughn and, yeah, that’s what I used to sign up with exercism

2 Likes

Github: thewazir.

I’ve completely forgotten about Exercism, so now would be a good time to try finishing the Elixir exercises.

2 Likes

I’m still 10 exercises away from completing elixir, and I just don’t move ahead. Currently to much stuff is going on, and I am happy if I can find some time to review stuff in the team.

1 Like

@NobbZ thank you so much for reviewing the exercises! I already knew that looking at solutions from others helps to learn tremendously. Now I know that having someone else review one’s code helps a lot as well!

Due to how notifications are implemented on exercism.io, it’s impossible to view them yet have them stick in your inbox. So, I viewed all of your comments but to respond to them & fix the code accordingly will take a bit of time, as I need to manually check all commented exercises once again :confused:

Anyway, great job at reviewing!!!

1 Like

Yeah, the way how notifications work and how we could make it better is discussed quite often. There have been improvements in usability a couple of times, but all of them had to get reverted, because they killed the database. Or maybe DB was fine with it but AR abstractions made it slow? I don’t know, I’m not following the code, but discussions only… I haven’t (actively) touched rails since 3.1.

And you are lucky that I was in need for a day of vacation from my university project. There is a hard deadline on that project next wednesday, as well as I have a deadline for an exercise the same day but 10 hours earlier. I really needed to do something unrelated to recover from all that C/OpenGL and Erlang/OpenGL. Especially from the OpenGL parts :wink: Still there is enough to do in both tasks for the next month. I think I will have some sleepless nights over the next week :wink:

1 Like

Good luck, and thanks for reviewing my code as well.

As an aside, anyone else besides me never look at other solutions until feedback is given?

1 Like

Doing at least 10 to 15 minutes of reviewing stuff is very important for me, and I try do it every day. For me it is even more important than finishing the next exercise or even implementing the next one in the erlang track.

Personally I think that I do learn quite a lot by reading foreign code. Sometimes that code is very well written and you take some stuff over to your own solution (you really should do that only if you can explain how the new code works!), sometimes there is really ugly stuff, where you learn from unwinding it and carefully reviewing it.

And something kytrinyx also always encourages is to ask question if you don’t understand something. Either you get an explanation because that piece of code is well crafted and the creator knew what he did, or you can reach for something better explainable together when the submitter doesn’t really know what is happening in his code.

3 Likes

my github name is emoragaf

2 Likes

My username is timlombardo

Thanks!

2 Likes