Elixir 1.5.0 released

Elixir 1.5.0 was released around 23:00 GMT last night here is the official release post.

14 Likes

Here is the HN discussion in case anyone wants to weigh in over there.

2 Likes

@josevalim I’m not seeing the same thing as your asciinema on the showing only matching heads thing:

$ iex
Interactive Elixir (1.5.0) - press Ctrl+C to exit (type h() ENTER for help)
iex> Access.fetch :foo, :bar
** (FunctionClauseError) no function clause matching in Access.fetch/2

The following arguments were given to Access.fetch/2:

# 1
        :foo

# 2
        :bar

(elixir) lib/access.ex:261: Access.fetch/2
iex>

It is colored properly here:

But the asciinema shows that it should be something entirely different:

EDIT: Also since iex here is not showing the otp version:

$ erl --version
Eshell V9.0  (abort with ^G)
1>

It is OTP 20 and Elixir 1.5.0.

I’m not seeing the same thing as your asciinema on the showing only matching heads thing:
(…)
It is OTP 20 and Elixir 1.5.0.

For Exception.blame you need 1.5.0 compiled on OTP 20. Even though you’re running OTP 20, you’re likely using Elixir that was compiled on OTP 18 (the minimal version that 1.5.0 is running on)

2 Likes

Very strong response on HN looks like Elixir is gaining mindshare fast

1 Like

“Elixir is truly an under-appreciated language.”

This will change soon :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Oh BTW (I guess I havent mentioned on this forum) we on the asdf team got an idea of providing Dockerized versions of any asdf supported tool (asdf started as an elixir version manager btw, but it now supports much other languages). So we have asdf-alpine and asdf-ubuntu images you can try right now.

docker run -ti vborja/asdf-alpine:elixir-1.5.0-otp-20 iex

I’ll try to keep these docker images updated as soon as the elixir team releases new versions (perhaps later a tiny trigger can automate that when a new release is made) so people can try new features asap.

2 Likes

It’s the windows distribution. Doesn’t it compile the beam files on install?

1 Like

Sooo, how would you get the windows installer to recompile the beam file to use the version of OTP that is ‘actually’ installed (or for linux packages either)? I’m not finding source in the windows distribution so I don’t know how this would even be done…

1 Like

Not windows here (luckily) - but fwiw precompiled elixir is available here against the various otp versions: https://github.com/hexpm/bob/blob/master/README.md#elixir-builds - eg https://repo.hex.pm/builds/elixir/v1.5.0-otp-20.zip

so a manual install should be possible…

know it’s not helpful, but something like asdf solves this pretty neatly on *nix (asdf install elixir 1.5.0-otp-20).

1 Like

No windows support, I have it on linux at home.

Not windows at home either, just at work, and the elixir windows installer apparently does not use those builds I’m guessing. ^.^;

1 Like

Quick note to say I just updated Elixir in Fedora. F25 and the upcoming F26 have been updated to v1.4.5; and v1.5.0 is in Rawhide (so it’ll be in F27).

If you want v1.5.0 in Fedora now, you can fetch it from rawhide (even if you’d are on a released version), with dnf --enablerepo=rawhide install elixir.

Once v1.5.x settles a bit, I may push the update into F25/26.

4 Likes

It looks like rawhide might be 1.4.5?

$ dnf info --repo rawhide elixir
Last metadata expiration check: 1 day, 0:17:52 ago on Wed 02 Aug 2017 01:45:57 AM EDT.
Available Packages
Name         : elixir
Version      : 1.4.5
Release      : 2.fc27
Arch         : x86_64
Size         : 3.9 M
Source       : elixir-1.4.5-2.fc27.src.rpm
Repo         : rawhide
Summary      : A modern approach to programming for the Erlang VM
URL          : http://elixir-lang.org/
License      : ASL 2.0 and ERPL
Description  : Elixir is a programming language built on top of the Erlang VM.
             : As Erlang, it is a functional language built to support distributed,
             : fault-tolerant, non-stop applications with hot code swapping.

$