Elixir Blog Posts

I wrote about the challenges I faced when trying to programmatically modify the source code and how that led to the creation of Sourceror :slight_smile:

7 Likes

GenServers are foundational to Elixir, and I find myself explaining them frequently to people new to the language. I took a shot at writing down my framing of a GenServer.

https://stephenbussey.com/2021/07/02/what-is-a-genserver.html

3 Likes

Nice article! If you do a part two one thing that would be good to cover is registration/names and why it is important (such as the process dying and being restarted with a new pid)

1 Like

This is the Future of Webdev. Crazy, Right?

So many reasons to be excited about LiveView! Is anyone still using anything else for new projects? It’s been my experience that most of the companies nowadays really use LiveView (GraphQL/Plain Phoenix is just legacy stuff).

1 Like

Hey! I’ve been learning Elixir for a while, and felt ready to write stories about it. So I wrote a story about “What is Elixir?”

Would love to hear what you think!

https://link.medium.com/Auel7hBHDhb

3 Likes

Nice start, looking forward to whats to come.

Even though I love the Elixir community and think they are pretty friendly, it doesn’t change the fact that Elixir community is small.
It’s nowhere close to the JavaScript or Python community, and there aren’t as many resources and tutorials to learn it. Which means you will have to learn a lot of stuff on your own.

sure, you can’t compare the Elixir community with JS or python, but

• it is the biggest(?) community in the functional world (which will always be sparsely populated)
  • there is a lot of high quality introductory material and the official documentation (of the big libs and frameworks) is very good - what did you have to “learn on your own”?
1 Like

Yeah I think I gotta edit that part a bit. So, Elixir and Elixir frameworks docs are pretty cool and self explanatory. But for example when you compare the tutorial counts its usually like 500 JS tutorials vs 5 elixir ones.

I will edit it to something like “community made tutorials”, thanks for pointing that out!

I just wrote another Elixir post, can’t stop haha.

Would love to hear what you think.

Medium Partnered Story

If you like to blog with Medium premium content that’s fine; however, can you mention that it is premium here.

1 Like

Oh, sure. Sorry.

Hi all,

I’ve been learning Elixir for the past couple months and I’ve loved it so much, I decided to write my very first blog post about it.

I hope you enjoy!

6 Likes

I enjoyed that blog. Thank you. One thing that left me a bit curious is your opinion about the docs.

documentation is really low tier compared to Django, especially when it comes to Phoenix. I was spoiled by how good the Django docs are and with Phoenix it’s been mostly digging through old forum threads for basic stuff. Docs assume a lot of prior knowledge about the elixir ecosystem, making it hard for beginners, unlike rails and Django. Their docs need a lot of work.

Would it be possible to provide some example where you think Django or Rails docs are better than the Phoenix one?

1 Like

Absolutely. I took some notes somewhere in a Notion page, I’ll report back in a day or two, as I need to elaborate it further.

1 Like

community can be a little elitist or idealistic.

As little elitist as possible for a functional programming community. But a little elitist, maybe. After all we have the very best language here. :nerd_face:

The documentation is very good imo. But there are seldom tutorials in the official docs, for python that’s common.

Nice article, liked it.

1 Like

How to send a text message from a Raspberry Pi using Nerves and the Waveshare GSM/GPRS/GNSS Hat.

3 Likes

Not mine, but I’m digging Dolt a lot!

4 Likes

A quick write-up based on @fhunleth’s presentation about how to setup Livebook on a Nerves device.

You can add authorization & authentication to an Elixir/Phoenix project either by building your own solution, going with some existing tools, or choosing a native Phoenix code generator, called mix phx.gen.auth. In the second part of our series, we will take a detailed look at the latter.

Building an Elixir/Phoenix uptime monitor: Authorization & authentication

We have new Elixir programmers in our team some of who come from OOP land. So in order to help them land on Elixir better, I wrote some articles discussing some common patterns in Elixir programs.

Here are the first two of the series:

I hope they can be helpful. :beers:

6 Likes

Thanks for your sharing. Those cover most topics of elixir.