Elixir Blog Posts

Data models, contexts in Elixir, as well as modular design, explained. These are the main topics covered by the third part of the Elixir/Phoenix uptime monitor tutorial series. Hope you enjoy this article as much as you enjoyed the last one! Your feedback means the world.

Building an uptime monitor in Elixir: Data models

1 Like

We recently open-sourced Delta (Forum thread: Delta – Track Contents & Changes, Operational Transform in Elixir), so wrote a blog post that gives an intro and shows how to use it in Elixir with GenServers to build a document server:

2 Likes

Your blog’s RSS feed is giving the wrong content-type header:

derek@DerekMBP ~ % curl -I https://slab.com/blog/rss/ 
HTTP/2 200 
date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 14:40:41 GMT
content-type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8

It should be application/rss+xml. Some RSS readers may not load your feed.

I’ll get this fixed. Thanks for pointing this out!

Switching to Elixir can be daunting. There are fewer resources about Elixir than other languages. But there is even less info about career development as an Elixir dev. Need a roadmap? You’ve been served! From entry- and mid-level jobs to senior Elixir engineers and beyond. Enjoy! An Elixir developer’s career roadmap

I’m working on a new startup called Doctave and building the stack mostly in Elixir. I wrote a blog post today about how we’re calling out to Rust for Markdown rendering in a Phoenix application.

Thought this crowd might find it interesting!

3 Likes
6 Likes

Very nice!

How did you determine the timing of :tick - :tock?

Yesterday I wrote up a few thoughts about using the phoenix view layer for json apis.

https://kobrakai.de/kolumne/phoenix-views-for-json-apis/

11 Likes

Hello Guys,

I have started writing my experience working on a chat system and I feel there have been limited exposure to easier reading materials to getting started with XMPP based chat systems such as Ejabberd and MongooseIM. There is a very good documentation for both of the applications and for a basic user, it’s overwhelming with technical details and implementation stuff. I’ve given my best to keep it simple to get started with MongooseIM. I’ll keep adding more articles to the series in the coming days.

Any suggestions or feedbacks for the blog posts are welcome!

5 Likes

Adding part 3 to this

2 Likes

Very nice article. Would you mind expanding upon this line:

Protocol implementations are module based and therefore global. One cannot have a given struct encode to multiple different json representations.

Maybe an example of what encoding to different JSON representations would look like?

Basically any case where one struct would result in two different sets of json data in different places, like include different fields, field values being encoded differently, for ecto schemas having associations loaded or not, …. Like in one place a user includes the address and in another place it doesn’t.

1 Like

Not a post here but I can’t find a better place to post it, forgive me if it’s the wrong place or has been discussed.

Is there a place where Elixir bloggers can post unpublished posts, in order to have some feedback from others? It’s kind of a peer review process for technical blog posts.

I learned many during writing but even more from others’ feedback. So I think It would be a great place to learn.

1 Like

Hey. Delta sounds interesting.

Would you have some lead on how to use Delta for something like tiddlywiki, (collaborative mode editing) ?

I recognise OT and its role in collaborative document. What else do I need to know to build tiddlywiki?

I am not familiar with TiddlyWiki but if the collaborative mode editing is anything like multiple people editing the same document in Google Docs or Slab together, I’m currently working on another post that dives into this in detail and should be out soon.

2 Likes

It is like google doc. Just that organised in form of small notes (each note is sort of google doc) that have tags, and can be organised via tags.

Waiting for your post!!

Hi friends, I wrote about my journey on how to debug Elixir code here:

I’m aware that others, as @vincentvanbush, are working hard to bring the experience of a better debugging REPL and I tried myself and even get my first contribution to Elixir fixing a bug on iex, but we can improve the so-called puts debugger experience while thinks are being improved.

1 Like

I came up with a better way to get all debugging information in a fast and convenient way here, without relying to much on iex.

1 Like

Back with the new chapter of the Elixir & Phoenix uptime monitor tutorial. This time, we are taking a look at routing and controllers. Enjoy!

Building an uptime monitor with Elixir & Phoenix: Routing and controllers

1 Like