Elixir Code Editors & IDEs - which one are you using? (Poll)

Nice catch!

For sure! The elixir layer is awesome!

2 Likes

Emacs of course. Are there any other real alternatives?

6 Likes

Emacs - still using it today

10 Likes

Seems like there is now:

Has support for Elixir. Haven’t tried it, since I only just found it by following your link. Looks very interesting.

3 Likes

Emacs of course.

1 Like

Don’t forget to add your vote to the poll Robert :lol:

1 Like

Yes, the author has kindly responded to my request and integrated some parts of my unofficial port. I’ve been using it for months ^^

1 Like

Very cool (pun-intented) theme by the way! Using it from now on!

1 Like

I’ve bounced back and forth between Emacs and Vim/tmux, VSCode is alright, but I hate using a mouse - I work mainly on a thinkpad t470 and on Solus Linux and switch workspaces, launch apps, and pretty much everything I can without a mouse. I like Intellij, however I find emacs better for my work flow with projectil (C-C p ) and open fuzzy search for project, and multiterm for running some commands, buffer switching is awesome (C-x b) and code completion is great. Also, it is the only editor that handles everything I work with great (Java/Kotlin, Elixir, Ruby(rarely), C++, Html, Css, Javascript) the only editor that handles java (on emac I use meghanada) this code, besides intellij ofcourse, is VSCode with the Red Hat package. But I find VSCode slightly annoying in terms of mouseless workflow. Cheers!

1 Like

I’ve tried Vscode, atom, Spacemacs, vim, but have not been able to get them to work as well as Sublime Text 3 with vim plugin. So, I’m back to ST3.

2 Likes

Sublime was “good enough” for me for a long time. But then I’ve started to get used to vim and then modal editing got into my heart! :heart:

But now spacemacs stolen it with a lot of plugins that just work (most of the time)…

1 Like

I use Visual Studio Code. I’m using the extension: vscode-elixir, but my favorite theme GitHub-plus-theme is not good enough for Elixir, I try to make an adapted elixir version, welcome any suggestion.

PS: you can search keyword “elixir theme” in VSCode Marketplace.

4 Likes

I am new to elixir, and I create SpaceVim, of cause, I will use SpaceVim to learn elixir. :smile:

1 Like

MS VS Code

Moved from Vim to Spacemacs and couldn’t be happier.

Just mentioning, moved from vim to spacemacs and didn’t miss vim at all, but then moved back to vim again and didn’t miss spacemacs.

So since spacemacs was kind of 10 times slower to startup and 10 times bigger in RAM, stayed with vim. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

But now, spacemacs took over the “fallback editor” spot, which was atom’s place before.

I’m surprised there aren’t more users listing NeoVim. It’s a drop-in replacement for Vim with async plug-in loading and what I’ve found to be more accessible documentation

1 Like

and you can install https://spacevim.org/ on NeoVim :heart:

2 Likes

I use NeoVim for Elixir because I needed an editor when alchemist (with Spacemacs, not important to the malfunction) suddenly stopped doing goto-def and documentation lookup correctly. I can vouch for it being super solid and right now it’s looking to be my main editor with Spacemacs as a close 2nd.

The truth is that I basically maintain configs for 5 editors/IDEs because software is hard to make work on everyone’s machine and there’s always a “best editor/environment” for the language you’re using.

2 Likes