Elixir In Action (Manning)

This was definitely one of my favourite parts of the book too - wait till you get to Supervisors - you will love Saša for taking the time to break it down and explain it all so well :003:

1 Like

Is there a coupon for the MEAP version? I hate reading “stale” content, even though I’m sure I don’t need to get the 2nd edition.

1 Like

I thought j/k was your signature :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Standard forum discount

For an up to 50% discount “watch” the Elixir Book Sales / Discounts / Coupons Thread.

even though I’m sure I don’t need to get the 2nd edition.

Though authors may need encouragement to keep their content updated.

Given that I haven’t read it end-to-end, in a linear fashion, I keep coming back to (re-)read a chapter here and there (mostly the later ones) and I prefer to have updated content for that and in this case it is definitely worth it (and I really like the searchability of electronic media in any case).

2 Likes

trying to buy the MEAP version of Elixir in Action with the coupon: elixirforum18

They’re not allowing it to be applied:

The coupons only work with ebooks unfortunately Rey.

1 Like

ah… didn’t catch that, thanks for the heads up. I went ahead and purchased it anyway, as I really like the physical books better… but still want to start reading it now.

2 Likes

I’m happy to announce that the 2nd. edition is now released. You can grab it at https://www.manning.com/books/elixir-in-action-second-edition

23 Likes

Many congratulations and thank you for all of your hard work. I’ve been really looking forward to this being published.

5 Likes

Thanks for updating it to 1.7…but but, 1.8 is around the corner :frowning:

Nevertheless, I already bought the MEAP and thank you so much for your work. My hard copy will be on the way soon from Manning.

There’s not really anything that needs to be updated for 1.8 other than the version number, so the book is still up to date :slight_smile:

5 Likes

As a reader from the book I got it when the MEAP was released. I am quite happy with the purchase, however it would have been nice to have some chapters mentioning spec and quickcheck.

Other than that, there is no part of the book I felt was rushed or missing. It has pretty much the standard knowledge most people should know about Elixir.

Favorite part:

• releases with distillery. We now have distillery 2.X so the book could use some updates, but I must say that chapter alone was the most useful in my work.

Less liked part:

• distribution with elixir. Mainly because nowadays the odds of you doing a distributed cluster manually are so slim I wonder if that space in the book should have been used so extensively to describe a feature made deprecated by VMs, docker and micro-services. This is a personal opinion however, if you do distribted systems manually, those chapters will be right up your alley.

Overall I would recommend the book.
Great work and I hope to see more coming from you!

1 Like

The book is now available on Amazon (link). In case you’ve read it, a review would be very appreciated :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Nice :slight_smile: I am waiting for the paper version directly from Manning and reading the epub version meanwhile. I like it a lot.

Do you know, by any chance, when the production version is going to be released as epub? There’s still MEAPv3 as for this moment.

1 Like

According to the book page, epub + kindle should be released on Jan 16th.

2 Likes

Same day as my paper copy is due to arrive according to Fedex. However since it is still in America and I’m in the UK we’ll see. But at least I should have it by the weekend when the weather turns colder and I’ll have a good excuse to light the fire and lie on the sofa and start reading it.

I’ve read the ebook but my paper copy will be here Friday :slight_smile: Probably end up reading it again, such a great book!

1 Like

You might be lucky: According to Fedex, Elixir in Action has landed at Stansted.:smile:

1 Like

It has indeed. Excellent!

1 Like

My copy of the book arrived last week as scheduled and I did spend some time starting to re-read it this weekend.

I honestly can’t remember how much I got out of the first edition because I picked it up very early on when I was trying to grok Elixir but was tending to focus on the Prag Prog books and had started with and was a big fan of O’Reilly’s Introducing Elixir book. I’ve got a feeling that I skimmed bits of it rather than reading it properly.

Dipping into the second edition after a year and a bit of tinkering with Elixir gives me an appreciation of how good it is. I love the additional depth it goes into over-and-above most starting Elixir books (memory management and how Elixir code is compiled are both covered very early on) and I’m learning a surprising number of new things. This time around I’ll be reading the book cover-to-cover and feel that I will be consolidating what I already know with a lot of additional information.

Thank you @sasajuric, your time end effort to update the book are very much appreciated.

6 Likes