Elixir In Action (Manning)

Is there still a forum discount? ‘elixirforum18’ no longer works (understandable considering it’s 2019 now!)

1 Like

For 2019 codes see:

i.e. try ‘elixirforum’

1 Like

The ePub and Kindle versions are finally available. :grinning:

2 Likes

So sad wasn’t able to catch this. Is there any other way to get a discount on the 2nd edition if you have the 1st edition?

I wish there will still be a discount for the upgraded ebook @sasajuric

That offer was for the ebook in February 2018 when the 2e MEAP launched - and only if you bought the 1st edition from Manning directly. That said there is nothing stopping you from emailing support@manning.com and see if they are willing to cut you a deal.

• In past years Manning had a 50% off sale on or about St. Patrick’s Day which is coming up shortly. If you sign up for their newsletter they’ll notify you about the more significant sales.
  • With the forum discount code (elixirforum) you can get a 35% discount for the ebook right now.
1 Like

I agree with @peerreynders… Manning quite often have big sales so it might be worth waiting to for it to be included in one of those. Their Twitter feed (https://twitter.com/ManningBooks) is good for keeping an eye on what offers they have running.

1 Like

Manning currently has a sale.
Save half on all MEAPs, eBooks, and pBooks!
Use wm031519lt at checkout.
Code expires midnight, Tuesday March 19th.

I was on the fence with this book as I already have “Programming Elixir”. But with the discount…

If you need a nudge, have a look at this:

1 Like

I bought a few days ago after seeing (your?) post about the discount. I am only a little bit in but don’t regret it. If I could compare, I would say Programming Elixir is focused on learning the basics (and at least introducing more advance parts) of the language and how it/functional programming differs from other languages, and this book is focused on what the language is good at doing and how to use it for those things. In particular the prose is noticeably clear and to the point relative to other technical books I have read. It is really excellent.

2 Likes

@peerreynders @srowley thank you both for chiming in. (Yes, I posted the discount on the other thread, too.)

I bought the book.

I read Programming Elixir and I think the first few chapters are fantastic. But the author lost me on the advanced topics like processes, OTP, etc.

I will need to revisit that but perhaps another perspective (from Saša Jurić) can help, too.

I bought Elixir in Action, Second Edition; it been a wonderful experience, in a little over a month from now my first elixir app will be running in production - it’s a USSD application and I’m already excited. I want to thank the entire community for their support, it’s been wonderful journey wrapping my head around elixir and I want to thank @sasajuric for such an awesome book.

4 Likes

I just bought Elixir in Action Second edition today, pager book, hope can receive it sooner. Thank you @sasajuric

2 Likes

A new thread has been posted on devtalk.com tagged with manning, elixir, development, meap :003:

Section: Backend Learning Resources

If you are considering replying, please remember that you will be seen by others as an ambassador of the BEAM world :-). If you are unsure about how to respond please use this thread to get feedback from others. (Please do not discuss the poster of the thread here.)

1 Like

Congrats on the third release of your book @sasajuric :partying_face:

If anyone’s interested we are going to be running a book club on this and we have a few copies to give away - if anyone would like to join please PM me :023:

1 Like

This books 3rd edition finally switched from the MEAP state, all the formats available on manning website. @sasajuric congrats, awesome job.
P.S. @sasajuric please write a book on Phoenix :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thanks! This is a half-release, because Manning is still waiting for the printed copies to arrive, which I think should happen next week. The official launch should happen then.

That said, the e-book version is now released and you can get it immediately, though I currently don’t have a discount code to share (hopefully I’ll get that by the official launch).

14 Likes

@sasajuric any plans on another book?

Not at the moment :slight_smile:

1 Like

Congrats Saša! And for those who need a discount code don’t forget you can get 45% off with our devtalk.com code :023:

4 Likes