Elixir library for MLX90640 Far Infrared Thermal Camera

I am waiting for a M5Stack device to make a small, battery powered thermal camera. Unfortunately on the ESP32 it’s going to be C, not Elixir, but it’s a convenient package. Alternatively, I am thinking to get a small screen and try out Scenic.

The fun part of doing it in Elixir is also that, once you get the pixel temperatures, there is so much you can do with the data: people presence detection is much easier than with normal cameras, and does not have many privacy concerns (you can easily detect people, but definitely cannot do face recognition), and the temperature measurements are actually very precise. Heat-seeking robots would also be another fun project!

One thing that would be great in the current Raspberry Pi setup, is to open a WiFi access point on the Pi instead of using an existing WiFi network. That way, one could just connect to the Pi access point and see the thermal imaging via browser, removing the current need to create a custom firmware image that contains the user’s WiFi credentials. I know a few people did something around Nerves and hostapd, but I did not try yet. Anybody has advices?

1 Like