Elixir Outlaws - New Elixir Podcast

Thanks Chris for the insight on those. They overlap a lot with the criticism I hear too. I will just provide a bit of info on how I deal with two of those:

To me it is an apples to oranges comparison. If you are considering gRPC, it is likely because you are building a heterogenous systems, so you would want to integrate Elixir/Erlang with this system using something agnostic (as gRPC itself) and not the Erlang distribution. But you are correct, it just kills one of the marketing bullets.

They actually fully complement each other. To me, Elixir/Erlang shines when building homogenous systems over multiple nodes, such as Phoenix.Presence (we talked about this in another thread too). There is just a huge amount of overhead to build those systems in other technologies and it is really straightforward in Elixir/Erlang.

So I frame this as: in the worst case scenario, Elixir/Erlang will be as good/as bad as your current programming languages + the concurrency model. But if you are building a system that is homogenous and may spawn over multiple nodes, then it sets itself apart and complements really nicely with the existing orchestration tooling.

Shameless promo: we discuss those in the Adopting Elixir book too.

3 Likes