Elixir Version Managers

That’s not a version manager. It just installs the latest version and optionally updates it. It does not install two different versions.

2 Likes

@NobbZ is right, Chocolatey is not meant to be a version manager.
I’ve even contacted the package author to see the possibility to provide more elixir versions based on otp compilation.

So… I started putting together my own version manager… I’m no expert and just started hacking around with Powershell for real after posting in here. For anyone interested:

https://github.com/thiagomajesk/winevm

PS.: The project is very very embrionary and lacks a lot of functionality to make it usable right now.
Currently, it can list branches and releases for Elixir and Erlang as well as download those versions.

I intend to keep working on it (It’s been two days hacking around so far)…

I mainly started this project because I was trying to start to learning Elixir/Phoenix and the vs code extensions that uses dialyxir was complaining about the version my elixir was compiled, so I ended up in this thread :slight_smile:.

1 Like

You could probably just port asdf to powershell or something, that way it would be ‘generic’ and you could even reuse the same old packaging information from many asdf things. :slight_smile:

Or just use asdf via bash on windows?

@OvermindDL1 I don’t want to be generic though; I think I’ll use my efforts (and free time) a lot better if I reduce the scope to just elixir.
BTW, I’ve looked asdf source code in the past and I don’t think it would be trivial to port it to Windows because Powershell has a lot of idiosyncrasies.

Or just use asdf via bash on windows?

I just hate it. WSL till this day has a lot of problems and is not feasible to have just another shell to do one thing. I sincerely don’t understand the impetus of indicating this for Windows; WSL is mainly a workaround that produces a terribly mixed workflow.

1 Like

Oh I’m not big on WSL either, I use a secondary installed bash shell (the full cygwin shell actually) and it works far better. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It just got to my attention that on Windows, Scoop may be an alternative. I know it can manage version for Ruby and Python - I don’t know about elixir, but it’s worth mentioning it if someone is interested.