54) ElixirConf US 2018 – Closing Keynote – Chris McCord

Although we’ve seen similar patterns before (i.e. drab) LiveView still totally blew me away and I’ve rewatched the video 3 times now. Now tomorrow morning I get to write tons of React form validation code and repeating the same/similar code in my changeset validations on the server and dealing with all the plumbing… while thinking how much easier it would be with LiveView with no perceptible performance degradation.

The way it was presented it seems like you could make LiveView “components” (stateful and stateless (not needing a GenServer?)) and hook them together like a React component tree. It seems weird to say but maybe we could have “JSX-like” syntax inside the EEx LiveView components which could call other LiveView module’s render functions with props (assigns) and children. All the data would be accessible server-side so less need all the JSON/GQL requests. It seems like that should work… and it could be the right choice for many (not all of course) project types.

Unbelievably incredible job @chrismccord just can’t wait until it is released for experimentation!!

6 Likes