Elm - General Discussion, Blog Posts, Wiki

Not easily possible when all need to interact together and share information though.

Eh, the largest I think is 18, but a lot of those are delegation messages to other areas, which in turn might have other delegation messages.

I’d be curious to see monolithic projects in it, I’ve yet to see one the size of the one we had at work. ^.^

EDIT: For note, the four main reasons I see Bucklescript taking over Elm is that:

1. Bucklescript compiles to faster code in addition to faster builds (better for quick turn-around) in addition to supporting individual module hotloading in the browser so you can update individual modules without needing to reload the page. In other words, a better set of tools, especially the compiler.
  2. It uses NPM instead of inventing its own new packaging system. The front-end and node world already know and use NPM thus everything integrates cleanly. You ‘can’ use opam modules as well (OCaml’s packaging system) but first-class single-line-added usage is via NPM.
  3. You can actually integrate other libraries from other languages (javascript for example) in a type safe way without using ports or native bindings, neither of which you can put on to Elm’s packaging system and native bindings can change at any time so they are not safe to use either (in addition to being entirely undocumented).
  4. It has a significant existing ecosystem of type-safe, fast, well optimized OCaml code, which you can use from OPAM straight or you can create a trivial NPM wrapper (of which many are already being made for the popular projects), compared to Elm that has, almost nothing of what I’ve looked for.
  5. And a bonus, the output of the code is entirely readable and matches the OCaml source very closely, unlike Elm’s that has persistent compiler bugs in a huge amount of issues on their issue trackers (over a dozen of which I personally encountered when I was starting with Elm and that have still not been fixed), compared to the Bucklescript compiler, which is just the OCaml compiler with a built-in ppx, which is very very well tested, very very well optimized, and I have yet to hit a single compiler bug at all (and the couple build system bugs I ran in to when Bucklescript was still building its build system, now complete by the way, were fixed within hours of reporting it, unlike Elm’s bugs that go unfixed for years…).
  6. Another bonus, *we*do*not*host*work*code*on*github*, rather we do at bitbucket and an internal (gitlab based) git server for backups, Elm absolutely mandates github for usage, which we cannot use for a few legal reasons. In addition npm allows hosting private repositories, unlike elm.