Elm vs Vue/React which one do you prefer to use with Phoenix, and why?

I adopted React.js back in 2015 or so, because of the same statement; It’s just JavaScript. It turns out that’s kind of a problem because of styling, with CSS modules you may have class name collision problems, but at least everything loads smooth, however popular libraries for CSS-in-JS hurts your components render speed by a lot, and you’re limiting your components consumers to only use the same kind of libraries, no way to use CSS-in-JS on larger projects.

I think this may not be true, why? Ionic created Stencil precisely to avoid fragmenting the web and the work on its reusable components, you can use Angular, React, Vue… and render Stencil components within your application. I think being framework agnostic is beneficial in terms of creating a design system or a collection of reusable components.

It may not make sense learn both a framework and a compiler when you’re new to web development, but for those who already know a framework, should be beneficial to use a compiler for your custom elements and let’s say React to keep your data in sync.

Anyhow, web compilers will cover the “modern web requirements” for like the next 6 months or so, let’s see what happens when WebAssembly lands, even if it has good browser support, it really needs to get adopted by the community. Being a front end developer is both, exciting and exhausting, so much stuff to learn.

2 Likes