Elm vs Vue/React which one do you prefer to use with Phoenix, and why?

Thank you so much for those links, I think I’m in love! I like VueJS but what this guy did with Svelte looks way better. I had never heard of it before, but I am set on trying it out in my next project!

1 Like

https://medium.com/better-programming/the-real-cost-of-ui-components-6d2da4aba205

By the author of Solid - The Deceptively Simple User Interface Library

3 Likes

Sorry but iPhones exist.

Yes, they do. Can you elaborate how exactly their existence is affected by or does affect the quoted statement? I have problems following you, as I neither do web development, nor have an iPhone.

2 Likes

Show me tutorial/proof of concept, how that shortcut to website on home screen on iPhone can use notifications. Or can execute in background. Or use any API like Bluetooth.

Everything you wrote about PWAs doesn’t work on an iPhone and PWAs are useless if you want to support iPhone.

I did not write anything about PWA…

2 Likes

Sorry, wrong user.

Anyways, he wrote that PWAs can use notifications API. On iPhone PWAs cannot.
He also wrote that PWAs “can use other APIs like installed apps”. On iPhone PWAs can use standard browser APIs - location, etc. On iPhone PWAs cannot access iOS APIs - no authentication (face id or touch id), no bluetooth, no payments api, nothing. PWAs also cannot do any background work, unlike installed apps.

It’s pretty common knowledge, yet there he is spewing bullshit about how PWAs are real applications, when on iPhones they are nothing but bookmark shortcuts on home screen.

But a few of those are web API’s though?

• Notifications - web-notifications standard
  • Authentication - WebAuthn standard (which I think apple even helped create, and yes can use face id and/or touch id or whatever the device exposes)
  • Bluetooth - web-bluetooth standard
  • Payments - web-payments development spec, not finalized yet but already supported by a variety of browsers.
  • Background - Can sync data to keep it up to date, though actual runtime to perform processing is purposefully limited as that could be easily abused (even by native apps, most phones have things to prevent that now).

My phone supports all of these, if an iPhone doesn’t but you need it, then perhaps get a better phone?

But yeah, PWA’s are not ‘native’ applications, though they are still applications. I’m personally not a fan of them as they don’t feel or respond as well or as natively as a native app though.

1 Like

I’m unsure what this is asking? I’ve worked in various parts of the programming industry for 25 years, including teaching?

EDIT: I see post was edited with more, and it now appears obvious that you are attempting to troll, so not responding any further.

1 Like

Hi @Deviltry, we’re aiming to be a different kind of platform here - one where we expect all contributions to the forum to be amicable and respectful. Unfortunately a number of your recent posts fall short of this requirement.

Please keep this in mind for any further posts you may make on this forum. You may also want to check out our Mission Statement for some background.

Thank you.

2 Likes