Ex_cldr - Common Locale Data Repository (CLDR) functions for Elixir

An update on what’s next for ex_cldr and friends

A very occasional update on what’s coming next for ex_cldr and related libraries.

In October 2022 (Proleptic Gregorian)

• CLDR 42 is in beta and due for release in October. In line with usual practise, updated ex_cldr and related libraries will be available on the day of release. As usual, some formatted results may chance between releases but the API and semantics do not change.

• Update ex_cldr_routes to support Phoenix 1.7 and to introduce a new sigil to localise the new verified_routes capability. Probably going to be sigil_q (q being after p) - alternative suggestions welcome!

By Year End 2022

• Introduce ex_cldr_person_names. With CLDR 42 comes data to support person name formatting. ex_cldr_person_names will leverage that data to provide person name formatting. Input on user requirements are especially welcome.

By March 2023

• Implement the Unicode Message Format version 2.0 as a new library. ex_cldr_messages implements the ICU Message Format and thanks to great work by @maennchen it’s fully integrated with Elixir gettext making for a seamless developer experience for what I believe is a better message format. The new Message Format 2.0 syntax is designed to be more widely adopted and address known issues with the 1.0 format. All the heavy-weight players from industry have been part of formulating this specification.

In Calendar Year 2023

• Collaborate on writing book about localizing applications. There is very little literature on this topic let alone practical guides.

• Implement some Liveview components on Phoenix 1.7+. Input, thoughts, ideas, suggestions very welcome. My initial list:

• Locale selector. A panel to select an available locale and customize it (calendar, currency, etc etc)
    • Calendar picker. There are some great javascript calendars and they should be the preferred UI mechanism. But in the liveview world there is room for a calendar too. And, well, I just like calendars. This implementation will work on any calendar that can be defined with the Cldr.Calendar protocol and be completely localized so it will have different capabilities to the normal JS ones.
  • Implement an interactive notepad like numpad. ex_cldr and friends have a lot of inbuilt knowledge of numbers, dates, times, units of measure and it would be fun to wrap this in a notebook style interface. I’m hoping this can be done on top of Livebook - I don’t think there is a way to override the evaluator loop but maybe there is a way to put this all together. Definitely interested in ideas, feedback and suggestions.

23 Likes