Facebook integrating WhatsApp, Instagram, and Messenger backends

Looks like things might be changing for WhatsApp. I wonder if they’ll retain their Erlang backend? Given they were one of the angry groups mentioned in the article, I suspect they might not if this happens.

1 Like

If they ditch Erlang I may well ditch WhatsApp (don’t use the others). Erlang was Whatsapp’s only remaining redeeming feature - although since FB bought it I have been using it begrudgingly. Can you tell I am not a fan of FB :lol:

One thing I have noticed is people use WhatsApp a lot less than they used to - iMessage and Snapchat seem to have taken a huge chunk of its users.

This might interest you!

:003:

1 Like

I missed this in the original article (only skimmed through it):

While all three will remain stand-alone apps, at a much deeper level they will be linked so messages can travel between the different services.

Once complete, the merger would mean that a Facebook user could communicate directly with someone who only has a WhatsApp account. This is currently impossible as the applications have no common core.

From: Facebook to integrate WhatsApp, Instagram and Messenger - BBC News

So basically they are merging not just sharing the technical back end!! :icon_eek: :icon_evil:

2 Likes

What interests me there, is how they will keep the end-to-end encryption and still have it all merged.

Surely if you use Facebook chat on the website, then the decryption keys will be there for pilfering?

I’ve got signal, telegram and keybase installed so hopefully that will cover everyone :joy:

4 Likes

Quite simple: they will not. They won’t even try to make end-to-end encrypted messages work reliably.

Facebook makes its money by siphoning personal data any way they can. It’s in their DNA. It’s what keeps them alive and well. They will never change.

To me this news indicates that they want an easier time building advertisement profiles of their users. But maybe they will save money on Ops or Development as well, who knows.

3 Likes