Front end development options 2017

Anyone already experimented build custom elements with skatejs?

Seems to me that in long term web components win!

Oh that looks cool. It does not look like it needs any special building whatsoever so I doubt youā€™d have any issues using it.

And yes, WebComponents need to be finalized already!

1 Like

Elm build walls between itself and everything else because it aims to give cast iron correctness. Drop the well defined borders, and you drop the correctness.

1 Like

Working with a few different things at the moment. Using ember as my tool of choice for 1 work (TestingPays) & 2 side projects (all with elixir backends yay! :smile:) . It may seem a bit heavy compared to some of the other choices out their but I think it gets a much worse wrap than it deserves. Its actually pretty awesome and works really well with elixir.

Other than that Iā€™m currently working with Angular 2 (4? Angular? Who knows anymore :disappointed:) in a consultants role. It does the job but I feel like Iā€™m always fighting the framework rather than it helping me, whereas ember is the opposite, not to mention the docs are a lot better for ember.

Also keeping an eye on Elm/Purescript/Closurescript, after working with erlang for a while and then elixir a functional frontend language really appeals to me. Having a really hard time justifying leaving the massive productivity gains and awesome eco-system ember comes with though.

1 Like

HI, I just come across the VMware Project Clarity as a Frontend Toolset focused on consistent and rich administrative UIs.

https://vmware.github.io/clarity/

1 Like

Thatā€™s the impression I came away with from a brief excursion into Elm as well. The language seemed nice but say anything slightly contrary about anything, particularly the Dear Leader, and people get super sour in a hurry.

2 Likes

I would very much like to see what youā€™ve done with this. It sounds like exactly what Iā€™ve been looking for.

Iā€™ve been having quite a number of people ask for it lately, I really need to get my fork of it published. ^.^;

Keep reminding me about it and when I have some spare time Iā€™ll do so. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So itā€™s the North Korea of Program Languages?

2 Likes

More the China. You can talk to the outside world, but you have to pass the Grand Wall of Ports (or what it is called now).

2 Likes

I read this and laughed so hardā€¦

https://hackernoon.com/how-it-feels-to-learn-javascript-in-2016-d3a717dd577f

We as a community have a choice to make: simplify this process going forward, or sink in complexity hell.

4 Likes

I came across that one via Modern JavaScript for Ancient Web Developers which in itself paints a bit of a runaway insanity perspective.

Iā€™m reminded of the Winchester Mystery House. As stated in 5 Tips Enterprise Architects Can Learn From The Winchester Mystery House:

It took 38 years to build this house. Extensions and modifications were primarily based on a localized requirement du jour. Today, the house has several functional abnormalities that have no practical explanation.

So given that you can only be in any one room at any one time and are limited to only perceiving the adjoining rooms the full insanity only becomes clear once you get out of the house and view it from a good distance.

It comes across as if a significant portion of the JavaScript community isnā€™t really interested in anything outside of the JavaScript realm, ignoring applicable lessons from other areas in the past and from the present.

4 Likes

Yeah Iā€™d agree there. Javascriptā€™s community seems to be making *so*many* mistakes that just should not be happening as they are well known lessons and solved problems outside of javascriptā€¦

I really truly do hope javascript starts to die off when WebAssembly becomes more mainstream (yay all evergreen browsers support it now!).

2 Likes

This is probably a bit due to ageism as well. No older ā€œrole modelsā€ is there to oversee the work being done. Hence an enthusiastic but inexperienced developer is bound to re-invent the wheel and make the same errors as in the past.

An apprentice tradesman learns by the experienced master and avoid making heaps of mistakes. In many countries they have removed this and they get the same problems as software developers. New freshly educated builders (for example) which have theoretical knowledge but no practical experience do a bad job in many circumstances.

Another example is arm-chair philosophers who think they have come up with a new novel idea which has been discussed for 2500 years or something.

Somehow it seems society has become worse in handing down knowledge down to the next generation

4 Likes

Douglas Crockford
Brendan Eich
Anders Hejlsberg on TS side of things

1 Like

Yes, but they donā€™t work with the developer in the standard start-up company that consistently re-invents the wheel.

My point is that computer science is bad at learning from past mistakes because experienced developers are often not part of the picture to guide and tutor.

2 Likes

Iā€™m learning Advanced vanilla JS cuz itā€™s not going anywhere any time soon and Iā€™d rather have a deep understanding down before moving onto a library or framework. Iā€™d like to be able to rely on the foundation and not the library ā€“ which sounds really weird in JS land. Specifically, Iā€™m interested in Isomorphic JS with some functional aspects thrown in.

Iā€™m also interested in the React and React Native ecosystem mainly because of React Native and writing and maintaining one code base (almost) for two mobile platforms. So, by default Iā€™d learn React as well. No point in learning Elm (yet), Ember, etc., at this point. Itā€™s about being pragmatic for me and not getting stuck in the minutiae about cons of each and every language and tool. There is no perfect tool or language. So, for me itā€™s just about getting things done. Now, my opinion of React may change once I go down that road, but Iā€™m hoping itā€™s worth it for React Native at least. React Native, in my opinion, is the best option currently available for what I specifically want to do. But, I used to code in PHP 3-4 (no Zend, Cake, CI, or Laravel) back in the day so Iā€™m pretty much masochistic. Iā€™ll handle React just fine.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve left Elm land for Reasonml 2 months ago. Itā€™s got great React bindings (redux built into components) and usable but not complete React-Native bindings. Also 80% similar syntax to javascript, I imagine some will hate that and others will love it. Main reason (lol) I left Elm for Reason was the javascript interop. Itā€™s not that hard in Elm but itā€™s annoying. Reason just lets you drop inline JS like some lunatic and I love it.

2 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: ReasonML versus BuckleScript