Functional Web Development with Elixir, OTP, and Phoenix (Pragprog)

Take my money! Oh wait, you just did. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Don’t forget you can get 25% off with your forum discount - with the code ElixirForum :023:

3 Likes

Sale tomorrow. Does it mean we get a better price tomorrow? Should I wait?

2 Likes

Sorry, no, it just means it will go on sale tomorrow. I’ll change the title now - tho you can blame PragAndy as I just copied what he said :lol:

You should be able to get 25% off with your forum discount tho.

2 Likes

money is leaving my wallet the second I get home.

2 Likes

Oooh, I’d love to work my way through this. Perhaps I’m overlooking something but it doesn’t look like it says how much of the content is currently available?

1 Like

Looks like there are two excerpts that look already to be fairly well done.

1 Like

Most of the book is already there! I currently need to complete two chapters, one on state machines and the other on supervisors.

They’ll be following along soon.

4 Likes

Sorry about the mix-up with the coupon everyone, it was my fault :icon_redface:

You can use the code ElixirForum to get your 25% off :023:

cc// @voger @jeramyRR @chrisalley

6 Likes

Thanks, just purchased!

2 Likes

I can verify the code works properly. $16 for this book, $10 for the udemy course… it sure isn’t expensive at all to learn Phoenix.

I also want to attest to the high quality of this book. There is a lot of meat on the bone within it’s current 153 page PDF. I especially appreciate the target project being a game and not yet another ToDo list or blog.

6 Likes

Thanks! I just bought it!

2 Likes

Thanks for posting this (and the coupon) it sounds really exciting!

2 Likes

Cool!
Is this based on Phoenix 1.3?

3 Likes

Cool |> done |> start_reading

2 Likes

I love the description of this book:

I am sure it’s going to inspire lots of people to try out Elixir :purple_heart:

7 Likes

Agreed. This addresses the exact question I’ve been having… “Do I need OTP with a web app? Where does it help?”

I just wish I didn’t miss out on the coupon :open_mouth:

2 Likes

Seems good so far (even if I mistyped a function name, got errors, and then submitted it as errata :blush:), nice work up from really basic Agent -> GenServer etc. Nicely paced, gives a pretty speedy run through. Just going onto the Phoenix bit, which is the main reason I got it (to practise splitting apps), so I’ll see how that goes

2 Likes

How much Elixir and Phoenix do you think we need to know before getting started on this book?

Good to hear positive views so far!

1 Like

Thanks!

You will need to have some experience with Elixir. Reading through the docs on the Elixir site might be enough for some. Otherwise, there are a number of intro level Elixir books out there.

If you have experience with an MVC style web framework, you should be fine on the Phoenix front. If not, the fabulous Programming Phoenix book will more than fill in any gaps.

4 Likes