Get AI code generation tools to create correct Elixir code, or else šŸ˜±

there are some very serious people on the list signatories. Itā€™s not just Musk.

1 Like

Thereā€™s nobody in the list that stands out to me from the position Iā€™d hope them to (just glanced through it quickly mind) and tbh I share some of the concerns, just maybe from an entirely different perspective. I love technology and the advancement of it, but I hate the (ab)use of it. I think future generations will look back at us and shake their heads in shame.

But maybe thatā€™s a topic for another thread one day :lol:

2 Likes

It will not happen if we donā€™t make it possible, if we donā€™t cultivate the seeds and make technologies more open/accessible, then they are bound to fail, same as us. It is not like there will be lack of exploiting anytime soon.

That aside, I wonder how long musk can keep this clown show on? his advancements in AI and robotics are the ones we had in 90s :laughing:

1 Like

Maybe they are 6 months behind the leading AI companies and want some time to catch up and take the lead :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Hi @woohaaha,

I was surfing the interweb yesterday and came across quite a simple node application ai-tdd that leverages OpenAI / GPT4 to write code to pass tests. Yes - itā€™s a TDD CLI application. Totally integratable into any IDE!!!

The gist of it is that you write the test, submit it to GPT4 and it will respond with code that passes the test. Itā€™s both exciting and scary at the same time!

I have yet to try this out. Additionally Iā€™d love to port it to Elixir, however being an Elixir noob I think it may take me a month of Sundays to do so.

Has anybody else seen this and thought that this would be an interesting Elixir app?

2 Likes

got this notification today

donā€™t think iā€™m going to pay anything for it. it has been pretty useful a couple of times, but thatā€™s pretty much it. honestly where itā€™s useful sometimes is just where VS Code is lacking. one of those ā€œkill a fly with a baseball batā€ type of situations.

3 Likes

I finally got around to trying some of this new fandangled AI stuff. Iā€™ve been using Cody by Sourcegraph sparingly for a couple of weeks and it does save time.

I was writing a library for an industrial protocol and asked it to convert a .NET file to Elixir using gen_statem. It got the structure correct but was trying to call methods and null check variables with the ?. So, I gave up asking it to translate things and let it suggest auto-completes. It was quite impressive that it could suggest almost the correct binary pattern matching. The cool thing is it learns from your codebase, so it has some idea of the context youā€™re working in/on. I felt like it had read the libraries doing the same thing in other languages and was actually helpful. It definitely gets things wrong, but it was obviously wrong (red squiggles) and easy to fix.

I tried a little bit of code gen but it was kinda slow (probably quicker if you can run the desktop app and Telstra isnā€™t currently messing with your cityā€™s internet).

The chat has been the most time-saving aspect. I wanted to write an SQL query, so I googled ā€œhow to do xā€ and wasted a fair bit of time searching through half a dozen Stack Overflow posts. I asked Cody and it gave me the correct answer straight up (with a variable named incorrectly).

Iā€™m doing some VegaLite charts at the moment. I asked it how to change the colour scheme of a point and how to fill the circle of a point mark. Iā€™m running livebook from source, so it was able to use the ā€˜intro to vega liteā€™ notebook in that repo.

1 Like