Getting a compile error after installing Elixir 1.14.4 with the Windows installer

I installed Elixir 1.14.4 using the official installer package on the website. Now I’m getting this:

λ mix local.hex

12:42:27.243 [error] Task #PID<0.109.0> started from #PID<0.94.0> terminating
** (MatchError) no match of right hand side value: {:error, {:crypto, {'no such file or directory', 'crypto.app'}}}'}}}
    (mix 1.14.4) lib/mix/utils.ex:647: Mix.Utils.read_httpc/1pc/1
    (mix 1.14.4) lib/mix/utils.ex:579: anonymous fn/2 in Mix.Utils.read_path/2th/2
    (elixir 1.14.4) lib/task/supervised.ex:89: Task.Supervised.invoke_mfa/2fa/2
    (elixir 1.14.4) lib/task/supervised.ex:34: Task.Supervised.reply/4ly/4
    (stdlib 4.0.1) proc_lib.erl:240: :proc_lib.init_p_do_apply/3ly/3
Function: #Function<5.79060775/0 in Mix.Utils.read_path/2>
    Args: []

I checked the box to also install OTP 25. But, as far as I can tell from some Google searches, the OTP installer may have skipped some Erlang packages? Not sure how to proceed without breaking things further.

crypto depends on openssl so I’d dig in that direction.

2 Likes

I thought crypto is a part of the standard lib?

https://www.erlang.org/doc/man/crypto_app.html

The current crypto implementation uses nifs to interface OpenSSLs crypto library and may work with limited functionality with as old versions as OpenSSL 0.9.8c. FIPS mode support requires at least version 1.0.1 and a FIPS capable OpenSSL installation. We recommend using a version that is officially supported by the OpenSSL project. API compatible backends like LibreSSL should also work.

Side question:
Sorry if this comes off wrong, but I’d really like to understand the motivation for wanting to dev in a Windows ENV. Given the accessibility of Linux and the number of things that just seem to work better in a Unix system, why go through the extra overhead that I see with dos systems and the need to install some underlining unix system to make them work? Is it really just a personal preference or is there another larger motivating factor?

2 Likes

@polygonpusher Could be one of: they have a Windows machine, they’ve always used Windows, maintaining a linux desktop machine is more effort/painful than a Windows machine, they deploy their app on Windows, they’re in a corporate environment where they’re given Windows machines. There are things that are a lot worse on Linux too.

@egeersoz Might be worth trying again. I tested it just now and the crypto app was installed along with OTP.

2 Likes

Don’t get me wrong when it comes to video and audio drivers its day and night, ask me how its been trying to get xla to work with cuda on ubuntu. I guess I assume most people are deving on the server.