Getting Started with Phoenix (Pluralsight)

Pluralsight offers a new course teaching the basics of Phoenix https://www.pluralsight.com/courses/phoenix-getting-started
It is made by Nate Taylor who also made the Getting Started with Elixir course (also on Pluralsight).

4 Likes

Hey @flou, what is you experience with the Getting Started with Elixir course?

I got 3-months access to Pluralsight thanks to Microsoft’s Dev-Essentials program and I’m considering taking a few courses there.

EDIT: Fixed typo

1 Like

It’s alright, it teaches the very basics of Elixir in order to get you started, I don’t imagine you can start building a real application right after that course but it’s a very nice introduction. I bought the “Programming Elixir 1.3” book right after finishing the course. In the end, I think the book teaches way more about the language and the ecosystem than the course but if you are only looking for an introduction the Pluralsight course is a good option.

Anyhow, Pluralsight offers quite a lot of different courses on many topics. So if you have time, I think it’s a nice way to wrap you head around Elixir.
Also I haven’t started “Getting Started with Phoenix” yet so I really can’t comment on it right now.

1 Like

Hmm, I see.

I guess I’ll take a look at their courses and see how it goes.
After that I’ll probably get Programming Elixir or Elixir in Action and go from there.

Thank you for the reply!

1 Like

Hi there,

I watched the “Getting started with Phoenix” course and I found it very useful for a beginner like me. It teaches the fundamentals of Phoenix and with this course, I could set up and started to implement my own solution. Though it is not suited for intermediates nor experts, I think it provides useful informations while beginning with Phoenix.

3 Likes

Nice, maybe I’ll start the Getting Started with Phoenix course this weekend then.

1 Like

Do they mention whether they will be updating the course for Phoenix 1.3?

1 Like

I haven’t seen any mention of that yet. I hope so :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Maybe you can ask the author, Nathan Taylor (@taylonr on twitter).

2 Likes

At the time I wrote the course I knew 1.3 was coming out, but I didn’t know when. It uses an umbrella project, and was modeled off of the --umbrella option of phoenix.new that was on the 1.3 branch back in November time frame. This was all to help make the transition to 1.3 easier.

The course doesn’t use generators nor does it use the models folder in the Phoenix project. The latter it calls out specifically.

That said, I need to review the changes between 1.2 & 1.3 and see what would actually change in the course.

btw, I’m also @taylonr on here, so I can always be tagged in a post (or you can reach me on twitter, or gmail with the same handle.)

3 Likes

Thanks Nate! I’ll hold off going through the course until you’ve had a chance to review things (I’ve got loads of books to read for now anyway). If you could update us on your plans that would be great :023:

/off-topic/ Is that you building your own house in your about.me pic? If so, awesome! I’d love to do that one day!

1 Like

It’s your call, but I think you’d be fine watching the course even without the 1.3 updates. It focuses on principles, and those didn’t change between 1.2 & 1.3. From a quick look over lunch, it looks like it new folder structure (under lib instead of parallel to lib) and the new generators are the biggest changes.

Also, I’m not sure what the turn around time would be if I did update to 1.3. Not just with me, but with Pluralsight in general.

/off-topic/ It’s building our own cabin on some property we own. That’s my dad & me, that picture is about 18 months old. We’ve got the structure built, and now we have to do the insides.

2 Likes

I’ve thought about it some more, I have no plans to update the course to 1.3.

The reason is that the course uses an umbrella project. The separate project (RSVP) contains the models and a lot of the logic. The web project (RSVP_Web) has the Phoenix stuff, such as controllers, templates, views, plugs, etc. It was deliberately done this way after all the talk about changes coming to Phoenix in 1.3 at last year’s Elixir Conf in Orlando. Plus, thats how I’ve typically architected applications in other languages anyway. As a result, Phoenix’s model folder was not used. Nor were controller generators (e.g. phoenix.gen.html) because I wanted to show the required parts (plus I’m not typically a fan of scaffolding anyway.)

After that, it appears the biggest change is to go from mix phoenix to mix phx but I think people can make that translation easily enough.

2 Likes