GraphQL Abstraction Breakdown?

The problematic difference in semantics boils down to “joining”.

The “joining” I’m referring to is purely in the service of data transformation or more specifically data mapping. My starting point:

• The DB Schema and GraphQL Schema are distinct representations even if to some degree they contain similar data.
  • The DB Schema is optimized for the application or service that it is supporting.
  • The GraphQL Schema is optimized for the client(s) that it is supporting.
  • When moving between these separate representations data mapping has to be performed.

While tools can certainly algorithmically transform a DB Schema into a functionally equivalent GraphQL schema, the resulting schema will be neither decoupled nor shaped with the client’s needs in mind.

So a client-oriented GraphQL schema will always be more work because it has to be independently designed based on client needs, which means that at the very least the data mappings have to be defined manually and at worse those mappings have to be implemented manually.

I’m still under the impression that you are in pursuit of some all encompassing, canonical, harmonized data schema.

SOA in practice (2007) - 4.2.2 Heterogeneous Data Types p.38:

(the whole section can be viewed via books.google)

Even when it comes to DDD bounded contexts there is duplication of representations to keep the clients of the context decoupled from the context’s internal implementation. For example the sales and support contexts will have separate and distinct internal representations of customer which themselves still differ from the customer representation that is being exchanged between the two (and unifying these representations polymorphically (or worse through inheritance) could lead to undesirable levels of coupling). This smacks in the face of DRY but when it comes distributed systems, dogmatic DRY can lead to tight coupling.

2 Likes