Hacking through hardware - does it concern you?

Just noticed this article:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-10-04/the-big-hack-inside-the-bag-of-tech-tricks-used-by-china-spies

Haven’t read it yet, but it is something that has crossed my mind - hardware backdoors/security concerns in servers and even our own personal computers.

What do you think? Should we be worried? How can we possibly protect ourselves from this sort of thing?

2 Likes

Of course we should. Article states clearly how US does it and how China does it

1 Like

The BMC creates a kind of intentional backdoor to a system, allowing administrators to remotely log in to servers, even those that have crashed or are turned off.

How’s that even possible? Don’t they need network to be able to log in?

I mean technically if the server has software allowing it to wake up when pinged by another computer on the same LAN and this other computer is also compromised and connected to the network, but it’s kind of a long shot :slight_smile:

More on this story:

Apple and Amazon say they found no such evidence on their machines/servers…

I don’t think we will ever find the truth – there’s too much at stake for the corporations to openly admit mistake or a breach, they have to work their PR image after all.

That being said, I fully believe that it’s possible. But I don’t think it’s so pervasive and ubiquitous as the press language tries to make people believe. As @yurko mentioned, it has to be a multi-stage and multi-layer attack and it’s not that easy to pull off, nor is it 100% reliable.

This only further proves the need for more libre hardware. Intel and a few others have been allowed oligopoly for far too long.

1 Like