Hash Sum Mismatch for erlang-solution_1.0_all.deb

troubleshooting
erlang
Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fc830ad8590> #<Tag:0x00007fc830ad8400>

#1

Does anyone know if something has been corrupted with Erlang’s packages? Our Docker image started failing to build yesterday with the following errors:

Reading package lists...
E: Failed to fetch http://packages.erlang-solutions.com/ubuntu/dists/trusty/contrib/binary-amd64/Packages.gz Hash Sum mismatch
E: Failed to fetch http://packages.erlang-solutions.com/debian/dists/xenial/contrib/binary-amd64/Packages.gz Hash Sum mismatch

We install it in the Docker image using:

wget https://packages.erlang-solutions.com/erlang-solutions_1.0_all.deb
dpkg -i erlang-solutions_1.0_all.deb

We had no source code changes on our side.


#2

We had a problem updating our Ubuntu docker image. This wasn’t related to Erlang.


#3

It is happening the same to me.
How did you solve it?


#4

So it was a multi-part problem. Here’s the story:

Our docker image was using FROM ubuntu:latest and the day we started having the problem Ubuntu updated its docker containers: https://hub.docker.com/r/library/ubuntu/tags/

We updated FROM ubuntu:latest to FROM ubuntu:trusty-20180412 and recreated the docker image and it started working again.

But also, we were running apt get-update on our image for every build, which you should never do. The image should only be updated from the source, so even though we were using FROM ubuntu:latest we shouldn’t have had an issue.

I emailed Erlang Solutions and informed them of the Hash sum mismatch on Ubuntu. I guess there really was a problem there too because they emailed me back and said they fixed the issue.

TL;DR
When Ubuntu updated its docker containers on 4/13, it created a hash sum mismatch for erlang-solution_1.0_all.deb. Erlang solutions fixed the issue. However, if you are implementing your docker images correctly, this would not be a problem. Even if you are using the latest version of Ubuntu in your image.


#5

Thanks !!

Something similar was affecting my Docker image but I did not change anything. erlang-solution_1.0_all.deb packet issue was the problem.