How can I test this function that queries my database?

Hello, I am new to elixir and ecto and working with a pretty large database. I am trying to modify this function that queries the db:

def query_active_truck_load_counts do
    from(
      well in Well,
      where: is_nil(well.deleted_at),
      where: well.closed == false,
      left_join: truck_load in TruckLoad,
      on: well.id == truck_load.well_id,
      left_join: fulfillment_authorization in assoc(truck_load, :fulfillment_authorization),
      left_join: dispatch_event in TruckLoadEvent,
      on:
        truck_load.id == dispatch_event.truck_load_id and is_nil(dispatch_event.deleted_at) and
          dispatch_event.status == ^TruckLoadEventStatuses.dispatch(),
      left_join: unloaded_event in TruckLoadEvent,
      on:
        truck_load.id == unloaded_event.truck_load_id and is_nil(unloaded_event.deleted_at) and
          unloaded_event.status == ^TruckLoadEventStatuses.unloaded(),
      left_join: rerouted_event in TruckLoadEvent,
      on:
        truck_load.id == rerouted_event.truck_load_id and is_nil(rerouted_event.deleted_at) and
          rerouted_event.status == ^TruckLoadEventStatuses.rerouted(),
      where: not (is_nil(fulfillment_authorization.accepted_at) and is_nil(dispatch_event.id)),
      where: is_nil(unloaded_event.id),
      where: is_nil(rerouted_event.id),
      where: is_nil(truck_load.deleted_at),
      group_by: well.id,
      select: %{well_id: well.id, active_truck_loads: count(truck_load.id)}
    )
  end

My question is, how can I test the function? It is being called by different components on the front end, so I can test it that way, but is there a way I can console log and see different parts of the function?

Thanks!! and sorry if this is a dumb question

It depends what You mean by testing.

You can always print the resulting sql, with Repo.to_sql/2, or Ecto.Adapters.SQL.to_sql/3. For example…

Repo.to_sql(:all, your_query)

If You want to see values, You can pipe them into IO.inspect(label: “My value”), because it returns the given value.

if I pipe a value with IO.inspect(label: “My value”), I should expect to see the value on the front end when I open my console, correct? also thanks for the help!! I really appreciate it

It’s mainly for console debug… not really for frontend.

I’m not sure I understand…where can I see the values after I add the IO.inspect? Is there a way to run that function and see the result in the terminal where I shelled into the database?

You have a powerful console that allows to interact with running node.

If You start with

iex -S mix

# or for Phoenix

iex -S mix phx.server

You can access a console, where all your modules and public functions are available to test and run.

ah gotcha, thank you! one last dumb question: how do I run this function in the terminal, is there a specific syntax/ command to use? I was confused bcs I already did iex -S mix phx.server to start the server and that terminal is non stop running and showing new outputs, even when I don’t input anything into it

You have logs… but hiting enter will give You some prompt.

Most logs are from webpack.

I like to configure webpack with…

module.exports = (_env, options) => {
  const devMode = options.mode !== 'production';

return {
    stats: "minimal",

stats: minimal does what it is meant to do, reduce logs to a minimum.

I also add a file .iex.exs, where I can setup aliases for the console.

ok, so once I have webpack configured correctly, I should be able to call the query_active_truck_load_counts function within the console and see the results? Is there a special syntax to calling it in the console?

Yes, it’s mfa… Module, Function, Argument.

All my contextes are aliased in .iex.es, but if You don’t, You can call…

MyApp.MyContext.my_function(arguments)

The console is not just nice to have, it’s a huge productivity booster.

And the observer shows You in real time the state of the server. From the console…

iex> :observer.start()

thank you for all this help!!