How has knowing Elixir changed your employment possibilities?

On one hand I got to know a lot of people that teached me more about software development than my years of studying alone from different sources(I don’t have any formal education on software engineering or computer science).

Until very recently I was working as an optician selling eyeglasses(a family business) and had no prior professional experience in software development other than personal projects, open source libraries and helping other people. I wasn’t actively looking for a programming job because after a bunch of bad experiences with interviewers at local companies I had pretty much given up on that idea(why they want a graduated computer scientist to write some html and css escapes my comprehension).

But a couple weeks ago I got a job offer, and now I’m working remotely as an Elixir engineer at Packlane(there is a job listing in this forum).

So in terms of adoption and job opportunities, I’m inclined to say there are opportinities, and judging by the amount of new listings that appeared in the last couple weeks, I’d say that there is increasing demand.

14 Likes