How have you been learning Elixir?

I am trying to learn Elixir without doing web programming. I am not a big fan of web frameworks and tend to avoid them, especially when I am just learning a new language or technology. So I am working through stuff without learning Phoenix and Ecto.

I have been doing the Exercism Elixir track. It’s good, but I am not sure if I will complete it. I am learning, but I am not that crazy about the use cases.

I am thinking of getting Red4 and I like what I see in Elixir in Action (anyone know why the Manning books are more expensive than the PragProg ones?).

I am feeling a little lost between the resources that are mostly syntax based and the ones (not enough of them) that are practical based. I prefer the latter.

My ultimate goal with Elixir is to write OTP Big Data apps (and/or encourage the community to do so) that rival those on the JVM like Hadoop, Spark, Cassandra, etc. Also, I think we should take aim at Golang and see if Elixir/Erlang + BEAM is suited to their sweet spot of network services apps.

5 Likes

A few chapters into Introducing Elixir book. For someone new to programming, I’m able to follow along quite nicely.

1 Like

I :heart: redfour tutorial. It is really fun and entertaining. It has videos, code examples and try guide you by hand through wonderful land of Elixir :slight_smile:

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Ruby / Elixir connection

For the record: I’m not on meth! But I’m thick skinned too. For what it’s worth, I’m doing streaming of the same content at http://dailydrip.com and teaching Elm now too.

11 Likes

Haha love it

1 Like

I started with Programming Elixir 1.2, jumped to Learning Elixir as I like seeing two points of view for learning. Once I finish Learning Elixir, I am moving to Programming Phoenix, and then Elixir In Action. Long road but I am enjoying it so far!

I may give Red:4 a try, it looks fun.

After I finish a few projects I plan on returning to Programming Elixir 1.2 to finish it up, its a beastly book.

2 Likes

I started off with Programming Elixir and by reading the Elixir docs and various Elixir-related blog postings.

For me, there are two things that are very effective for learning: doing and teaching. Doing means that I experiment with Elixir by writing code. This is very simple at first and expands in size as I progress. Teaching means that I explain Elixir to others. In my case, I decided to write about it in a series that I call “Learn with Me: Elixir”. I write about Elixir as I learn it and anyone else who is also interested in learning can follow along with me. If anyone is interested, you can find it at https://inquisitivedeveloper.com/.

Just writing about Elixir has taught me a great deal and has helped me to remember things.

4 Likes