How to become a senior in elixir?

That’s precisely what I need. I didn’t meant to say that I’m only need to know more in order to get a new job aka succeeding in a interview, but I meant to say that I want to learn more, to have that holistic picture for me, because I like learning, but I cannot do that since I’m all alone working on a project and the rest of my teammates are doing imperative programming.
So maybe because I work in an environment with an imperative programming mindset where processes are not that used as we do in Elixir makes me finding solutions that are not so Elixirish.
At my last interview I had to design an zapier clone, not implement it, just casually talk about how I can think about it. And both during and after our talk I got the feeling that what I described can definitely work but it’s not how an Elixir programmer would do it. The feedback was that I’m a likeable person but despite that my technical level it’s a little bit under what they are looking for.
And again it’s not only about the interview, if I could learn more by myself without needing to change my job I wouldn’t be unsatisfied with the money I currently make.
What motivates me it’s growing as a developer. Because I feel I reached a plateau like @jonas_h said earlier. And I’m not just posting here and complain about it. Right after the last interview I started reading more, I finished Adopting Elixir(I can’t believe I didn’t read this before) and now I just started reading Mastering Elixir. And not just reading, I’m watching more and more videos presentations about how other people are handling applications design in Elixir. And the reason I posted here is that I felt in the same time that is not enough and I need to interact with you guys and see how you would handle this if you were in my shoes. And I got some pretty good suggestions from you guys and there’s for sure value in both your technical advices and in your general developer/life advices that I couldn’t find in any book I read. thank you!
I created a new topic to see what I missed over that zapier design if any of you could drop a few lines I would be grateful: How would you build a zapier clone in Elixir?.
And again thank you for your advices, @davearonson listed some good ideas which I can follow next.

4 Likes